Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Concerts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Concerts
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Just wondering which musical artists/groups scrollers have seen in concert? Please leave any comments on which performances were the best or maybe disappointed you.

Any concerts you plan to attend soon?

thanks!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Finally went to my first concert in 2 years yesterday. It was the Indy Jazzfest, though there were also rock, soul, and reggae acts there as well.

The jazz acts I saw included a local band, Jeff DeHerdt Group who were really good, especially on the vocal tracks, and The Ramsey Lewis Trio. Ramsey Lewis is just an amazing jazz pianist, just the right amount of the jazz/pop/bebop sound. Jazz vocalist Nancy Wilson was there for a few songs towards the end. Before she came out, Ramsey played a few Ray Charles tunes which went over very well.

The reggae act was Shaggy who put on a really good show. I'm not too crazy about his vocals though the other members of his band all sang lead on some songs & sang better than Shaggy, I thought. Shaggy was followed by the act that made me want to go to the Jazzfest in the first place- The Black Keys. The Keys are one killer band & were awesome live. Just a guitarist & a drummer playing some mean-ass garage/blues-rock. No fancy razzle dazzle antics of a Jack White or Ryan Adams here. Just some amazing musicians tearing the roof of the sky!

The soul acts included soul king Solomon Burke and 70's diva Patti Labelle. Burke was fantastic, his voice is still as strong as ever. He sang a couple Ray Charles songs which were very well recieved. It was the 2000 Indy Jazzfest where Ray Charles last performed live so his music was everywhere. Labelle was equally great. Good thing she got ppl dancing cuz it was getting cold outside in that university field by then!

That was day 2 of the Jazzfest. I wanted to also go to the day 1 show though i think it ended early cuz of rain. Isaac Hayes was the headliner that night and that Isaac's a bad muther- *shut yer mouth*- but maybe he'll be back again to a future Jazzfest.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
hmm..it's been awhile, I'm afraid.

Last summer I saw the White Stripes in OKC. It was a damned good show. Lots of energy, lots of fun. The sound system in the venue wasn't very good though, but the band seemed to have figured out how to compensate after the first few songs. I'd certainly go see them at the European festival dates if it weren't for the fact that I have no money and if I did have money I'd be buying a house...or a tv.

Also going back a way was Queens of the Stone Age last spring. Now seeing as at least a third of the band I saw has left or been fired, I couldn't tell you what the experience would be like now. I thought it was a pretty good performance, although I was a bit grumpy by the concert starting two hours late and the opening band really sucking.

Ian Moore He's always on tour. He'll eventually make his way to your hometown. He gave a great show. His current thing right now is this acoustic tour that's just him and one supporting guy. Great in an intimate venue, but would probably get lost in anything too big.

Ben Folds, Bare Naked Ladies, Better than Ezra Caught them all at OSU's Orange Peel. I knew I was old when none of the kids reacted to "Good" because they weren't even in jr high when it was popular. For just a guy on a piano (Except when he got the Cowboy Marching Band to back him up on "Army") Ben Folds did an amazing job playing to the stadium. Bare Naked Ladies were totally awesome. They had the crowd eating out of their hands. Great musicianship, lots of energy, and witty repartee.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
I went and saw Story of the Year, P.O.D., Hoobastank & Linkin Park a couple months ago.

Good show, pretty energetic but the roof blew off when LP came onstage. Such energy and intensity. I completely dug it. And of course, they finished and after all the fans screaming their heads off, came back on and did a 5 song encore. Great stuff. I will definitely go and see them again.

And Nora and I are going to Lollapalooza when it comes here to Dallas. So far we're just going on the first day, unless they add more bands on the second cause Nora wants to see the Flaming Lips but eh, we're not sure.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
OOOooo i'd love to have seen the White Stripes. *pouts*

Dallas gets 2 days of Lolapalooza and Indhickianapolis gets one day... *pouts*
Indy's the only spot that gets just one day of Lola.

Indy gets the day 2 schedule, but no Pixies *pouts*

Indy schedule-

Main Stage
String Cheese Incident
Flaming Lips
Wilco
Gomez
Polyphonic Spree
TV on the Radio

Second Stage
The Thrills
The Coup
Sound Tribe Sector 9
Elbow
Wheat

Solar Stage
Mike Watt
The Dresden Dolls
Bumblebeez 81
Carina Round
Ross Golan and Molehead
Peretz and Alex Graham

Dallas on day one-

Main Stage
Morrissey
Sonic Youth
PJ Harvey
Modest Mouse
Le Tigre
Von Bondies

Second Stage
Broken Social Scene
Wolf Eyes
Danger Mouse
Datsuns
Sparta

Solar Stage
Mike Watt
The Dresden Dolls
Bumblebeez 81
Carina Round
The Living Things
Peretz and Alex Graham

DAY TWO:

Main Stage
String Cheese Incident
Flaming Lips
Gomez
Polyphonic Spree
Blackalicious

Second Stage
The Fire Theft
The Coup
Sound Tribe Sector 9
Wheat

Solar Stage
Mike Watt
The Dresden Dolls
Bumblebeez 81
Carina Round
Ross Golan and Molehead
Peretz and Alex Graham

I am glad we at least get one day of lola. Most wanting to see the Wilco & The Polyphonic Spree. I'd trade all other Indy bands for The Datsuns. I'd trade String Cheese whoever & the 2nd & solar stage line-ups for Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey & the Von Bondies. Both Dallas & Indy got ripped from not getting the Pixies. Oh yes, Sonic Youth would be nice too. I'd trade the 2nd stage (except the Stills) & the Solar stage for Sonic Youth. Smile

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I've seen Quiet Riot, Ted Nugent (twice), Slaughter, Kiss (twice), Aerosmith, Skid Row (sans Sebastian Bach, so it wasn't really Skid Row in my opinion) and the Indigo Girls (thanks for inviting me Tam!).

Aerosmith kinda disappointed me because they decided to play a lot of stuff off their new blues album. I wanted like classic Aerosmith, not bluesy Aerosmith. Frown

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Dammit, dammit, dammit!

They just cancelled Lollapalooza. After I finally found out the cost of a two day pass was only $39.

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I almost bought a ticket to the Kiss/Aerosmith show in Indy but all the pavillion seats were gone by the time I got online. Just didn't want a nosebleed seat in the back. Maybe next time.

What a bummer on Lolapalooza. Supposedly because of poor ticket sales is why they cancelled. It was a pretty diverse line-up for the 2 day event. And it was definately cheap. Oh well, back to the record store & get a refund. Maybe there'll be a good show come round in the fall.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i've seen matchbox 20 3 times, the cure, david bowie and something for kate (score!), savage garden, john farnham about 5 times (including "the main event" with oliva newton john and anthony warlow), shannon noll, and girlfriend. i'm cool Smile

--------------------------------------

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
recently i've seen jonny lang, dido and indigo girls (you're welcome arista Smile)

all good shows, but the dido show was much better than i expected despite the late start

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Favorite concert of mine is still The New York Rock & Soul Revue which featured the just-then reunited Steely Dan as well as Boz Scaggs, Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald and a buncha ppl I'd never heard of but all who were excellent. The Dan were better here than when i saw them on their own the following year.

Best act by itself- Los Straightjackets. Excellent surf instrumental band complete with Mexican wrestling masks (in 90+ degree weather & Hawaiian go-go girls).

Scroller
Picture of Saily
posted Hide Post
I went to see Jamie Cullum (Jazz Singer) last night, he was pretty darn good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Saily,

Posts: 39 | Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
okay, okay...I've just seen the line up for Austin City Limits Music Festival...I wanna go--and it will be a good excuse to see 'zoom, le, and Shawn. Right?

Austin City Limits Music Festival

Sept 17-19...technically still summer. Astronomically still summer.

oh..and xc...the Pixies and Wilco are scheduled. What's a two day drive?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
OOOOooo Neko Case, Antibalas, Shelby Lynne and so so so many more at the Austin concert thing.

Wish it was on during my August vacation. Maybe i can fly down? (by plane, i mean, my xc flying cape needs mending).

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
oh c'mon xc. It's just a long weekend, lol.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
2 days to get there, 3 days there, 2 days to get back = 7 day weekend! Well, you're a lawyer, Nora, can ya think of some law thingie to get my bosses to let me take that much time off work?

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Fly, you silly git.

smash

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
I'm in love with John Mayer. I saw him in concert on the 21st. I just absolutely love him. There are just words and sometimes aspects of the music that just take me away.

There's this one song (it's called 3 x 5) that has this traveling acoustic guitar intro, the sounds carries in and away as he sings "the skies are painted colors of a cowboy cliche, and it's strange how clouds that look like mountains in the sky are next to mountains anyway. didn't have a camera by my side this time. hoping i would see the world through both my eyes. maybe i will tell you all about when i'm in the mood to lose my way with words"... i just LOOOOVE that song. I could go on... and on. but that song. a lot of his lyrics i can get lost in and completely meld with a lot of my own thoughts. so, i went to the concert to get lost. i loved it.

then i'll be seeing Alanis Morissette on the 1st of August. I love her music and lyrics too, although her latest albums have left some room for acquired tastes. my favorite song of hers is uninvited. I like where she says "must be strangely exciting to watch the stoic squirm....like any uncharted territory i must seem greatly intriguing." oh. what a wonderful song "uninvited" is. yeah! music rocks. and sometimes it adult contemporary soft rocks. Wink

mons

scrollers do it standing up...

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwinXenas:

We went to our very first concert experience

and

here are the concert pics to prove it!

Cool Cool

Yeah sure, i bet it was the TripletXena who saw the show & took the pics & wrote the review. You gals are always so mean to her! Smile

btw Linda Ronstadt's comment at the Vegas show had nutin to do with Michael Moore- what she really said was xc was a mighty bore. But why would she be booed for that? Confused

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post
There is no TripletXena. Razz Razz

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
I saw Pete Murray at a bar before he released his album and became famous.

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Saw Iron & Wine recently. The concert sucked, the reason being the venue was a crappy one. Bar with loud obnoxious drunks is not best place for alternative/singer-songwriter band whose lead singer rarely sings above a whisper.

Oh well, will hopefullySantana be seeing this summer. Better luck then and maybe at the Indy Jazz Fest.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
so far this summer i have tickets for
alison krauss, rob thomas, patty griffin and the killers

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arista: Skid Row (sans Sebastian Bach, so it wasn't really Skid Row in my opinion)

I have to agree with that.

Okay don't ask me how I got myself into a few of these but here are mine...the good the bad and the really ugly.

Richard Marx and Wilson Phillips- Typical 90's concert...I did love Wilson Phillips and their range is incredible and Richard Marx's Angelina was really good. He's someone I would pay to see again.

Reba McIntyre~ I was actually looking foward to this one. Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Yes folks when I go country I go all out. I tell you it was the MOST boring thing I have ever had to sit through. She stood and she sang. And she only sang for like an hour. That's an hour of my life I will never get back.

Kenny G~ Don't ask

Hanson ~ I actually did get into Hanson for a bit and being that I had two little squeally sisters it was the perfect opportunity to be a part of that thing that is a teeny bopper concert that I never got to be apart of.
It was a lot of fun.

Alice Cooper--best concert I have ever been to...no contest. Alice Cooper is amazing. This was just a few years ago. Loved every minute.

Poison, Slaughter, Dokken- I had a great time at this one too...with the exception of a few arses (I was in line to purchase a beverage and an over active concert goer elbowed me in the boob as hard as he possibly could. I proceeded to stare at him for the remainder of the wait...he didn't even realize he did it...drunk fool)But I will never forget this night. Poison was amazing.

Twinxenas
Oh and I would give anything to get a hold of Cyndi Lauper tickes...you are a couple of lucky little twins!

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post