Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Musical tastes of your family

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Musical tastes of your family
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
What artists and/or kinds of music do/did people in your family (parents, sibs, cousins, grandfolks, pets, whatever) listen to?

My parents liked a lot of the same music- Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Harry Belafonte (day-o!), and Patsy Cline. They both liked folk music acts of the '50s-early early '60s such as the Limeliters. They both liked big band music, showtunes from the '4os and easy easy e-z listening stuff (Andy Williams lol).

Papa xc listened to some strange stuff like Walter Brennan as well as some half singing/half talking duos that i guess you'd classify as folk-lounge(?). He also liked the Patsy Cline-type vocals, even if the similarity to Ms Cline was remote (Linda Ronstadt, Patty Loveless, KD Lang, etc).

Mama xc likes oldie soul stuff like Sam Cooke, the mellow Motown ballads especially the Stevie Wonder stuff. She likes a lot of the Everly Brothers tunes and some Beatles ballads. Try as i might, i don't think i could get her to like the White Stripes or the Black Keys. But she does like jazz more now than she used to, which is cool.

My oldest brother, as far as i know, prefers the Elvis stuff as well as singers such as BJ Thomas, Bobby Goldsboro and the like. Southern pop schlock? uh...

My udder brudder is the Dylan folkie, the George Harrison type, mid-late '60s pop/rock a la CCR. I inherited his record collection when he moved to Californy. So i grew up with Elvis music comin outta one bro's room & the Fab 4 outta the other bro's room (with Walter Brennan & day-o & "Moon River" blarin' from the living room).

My cat likes surf instrumental & jazz. Her ears get weird when Tom Waits is singing/grumblin' but she does seem to like the new punk stuff. Smile

So how about your fam?

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
my family likes what i tell them to like *stern look*

mum likes:
seekers
abba
dido
silverchair
savage garden
carpenters
robbie williams
crowded house

dad likes:
eagles
daddy cool
slim dusty
cat stevens

big bro likes:
the cure
the tea party
jet
david bowie

lil' bro likes:
the doors
bob marley
coldplay
you am i

sis likes:
cold chisel
hunters and collectors
elvis
the whitlams
babara streisand (dont' even ask me how to spell that)
u2

and i had a budgie once that used to chirp in time to "mustang sally" Smile

--------------------------------------

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
For some weird reason, most of the rest of my extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles) either don't seem to care much for music, don't have much knowledge of current music scenes in any genre or just seem to consider music as background noise.

My sister-in-law likes the Beack Boys & Brian Wilson. I don't think any of my brothers know or care much for music made beyond the 1970's. Unless maybe it's new music made from artists from the '60s & '70s.

My nephews also don't seem to have much interest in music. One niece likes boy bands and the Avril/Vanessa Carlton stuff. Another niece prefers the Beatles & lite pop, so i'm told.

Sheesh, no one in the fam to inherit my cd/record collection. Frown Maybe i should have the collection burned with me when i'm dead & cremated. heehee

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
I grew up on John Denver, James Taylor, The Eagles, Carlie Simon, lots of folksy stuff. Barbra Streisand (I do like her) That's what my folks used to listen to. Then, as they got older, it was Linda Ronstadt(when she went through her annoying big band phase-*gag*), along with Neil Diamond etc, but now, for the past decade, it's country. Fine with me. They also like Frank Sinatra and my bro got my Mom into Sara McClachlan and she likes some nice New Agey and Piano Classical and stuff.
My folks were a huge influence on me musically. I love The Eagles and James Taylor. My Dad actually took me to see Roberta Flack at Musikfest and we saw the Genesis Jam in '81, so my Dad's taste is pretty darn eclectic. I even mixed a progressive metal tape for him.
I didn't find out until about 7 years or so ago that my Mom loves Styx. I love Styx. Or was it ELO? I love ELO...lol
Maybe both...
My brother is way into alternative, but he also likes Frank Sinatra, The Beatles and some rap and stuff. He loves James Taylor and he even went with me to see Metallica years ago. He holds a huge influence on me musically, but I introduced him to a band that would be his fave band for many years, til this day, U2. He got me into Depeche Mode.
My kids are my hugest influence and they love country. They did since they were babies. They know the difference between Shania Twain and Faith Hill and they've never heard of Britney Spears. I'm proud of that. Big Grin

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
Herbie now falls asleep to Latino music, thanks to my new housemate. Tries to sing it too. He's not bad. Wink

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Dad likes:
Anything classical. ie; beethoven, mozart, etc.

Mum likes:
Enya

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Addict
Picture of Ditie
posted Hide Post
Me Ma likes

Toni Braxton
Celine Dion
Barbara Streisand
Randy Crawford
Earth Wind & Fire
George Benson
Tasmin Archer
Atomic Kitten
Charlotte Church
Dido
Elton John

Me lil sis likes

Atomic kitten
Snow Patrol
Norah Jones
Britney Spears
Mariah Carey
Westlife
Robbie Williams
TLC
Toni Braxton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Filthy..Gorgeous..Dirty..Nasty !!

Posts: 108 | Location: Shrops, England | Registered: 09 September 2004Report This Post