Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  Fight Club    Quiz for those over the age of consent
Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Quiz for those over the age of consent
 Login/Join 
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
you have used the 2 words 'I hate' together many times in this thread & now wish to claim youre not upset. This seems to be dissolving into nonsense.

It appears to me you are either being dishonest with me or dishonest with yourself.

Why havent these 'scrollers' addressed me directly....or the scroll mods,whom I presume would inform me..??

There appears to be no point to this discussion as you turn it into an argumnet & deny thats what it is.
I like ya kid but your no Ulrich.
Smile Razz

No one else can answer the question of what I think except me & Im not continuimg until your behave like a proper young lady.... Big Grin smash

Persoanlly I think the answer is obvious why the 2 go together,& it doesnt even seem you disagree, youre just being dis-agreeable.

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
you go boyfriend!Razz

(just to clarify, i'm not implying that brucy is now or ever has been my boyfriend, or indeed in any kind of relationship with me that could be seen as pertaining to a sexual nature, appropriate or otherwise. i also state for the record that while i find brucy to be a very nice person, by referring to him as "boyfriend" i am in no way intending for him to take this as an unwanted sexual advance on my behalf, and sincerely apologise if i have made him feel uncomfortable, embarassed, or otherwise degraded because of it. i meant it only as a friendly term of general appreciation, however silly and irrelevent this particular phrasing may seem. thank you.)

--------------------------------------

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. J. Lupin:
you go boyfriend!Razz

(i also state for the record that while i find brucy to be a very nice person, by referring to him as "boyfriend" i am in no way intending for him to take this as an unwanted sexual advance on my behalf)

Rats! Im 50 desparate & dateless.. & an offer from a woman to wear my pants for 3 weeks sounds good. heehee

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I knew what ya meant, Maddie.Big Grin

You go, Girlfriend!

(oops, in no way am i implying that you're my girlfriend...etc, etc. etc.Big Grin)

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brucy Braless:

you have used the 2 words 'I hate' together many times in this thread & now wish to claim youre not upset.
Wrong. I used those '2 words' once. Why don't you ever bother to go and check what I've actually written?
quote:
I like ya kid but your no Ulrich.
More condescending talk. I am not a "kid", even though you appear to think of me that way. I am 38. I do not want to be Ulrich, there is only one Ulrich. I am quite happy to be Argeaux as there is also only one Argeaux.
quote:
No one else can answer the question of what I think except me
So why haven't you actually told me what you mean?

Let me explain why Brucy's statement, and indeed the whole discussion around it, is sexist.

A value judgement has been made about the sexual behaviour of women, AND ONLY WOMEN.

"We have ALOT of late bloomers around here,I see.I think thats very ladylike."

Nowhere has ANY VALUE JUDGEMENT been made about the sexual behaviour of men.

When the values of women are judged, but the values of men aren't, that is sexist.

And before you say that only women were answering the poll in this thread, Brucy answered it.

And before you say that he was including his own sexual behaviour in his judgement, he wasn't. He took great pains to add "I just want to add the ladylike remark was in reference to the previously replying ladies not myself.....

Im NOT ladylike at All... Nuh uh !!!!"

And before you say that the word "ladylike" is inclusive of both women and men, it isn't. A more inclusive word would have been "mature", as in "We have ALOT of late bloomers around here,I see.I think thats very mature."

And before you say that the word "ladylike" isn't making any sort of judgement, other women who replied said that they found the word "good" or "strong". A positive judgement, but a judgement nonetheless.

I don't need anyone judging my sexual behaviour.

Thank you and goodnight.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
wow.

when was the last time there was actually something that resembles a fight in Fight Club?

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Hi Zoomy,

Leave it to me to get into a no win, un-intended, argument with the owner of the scrolls. Eek

Wht bothers me the most is that a large number of scrollers only know me as the rabble rouser who would get into long{seemingly} pointless arguments with motoki & AP.

I wonder how many stopped & thought Gee maybe Brucy was right about them after they all left in a huff.

The place is better off without them ,Im sure nearly all would agree,but Im left with a tarnish rep for givin it right back at 'em.

I need to ponder what ta do... Wink

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:

Brucy[/b[][QUOTE]I like ya kid but your no Ulrich.

[b]Argeaux
quote:
More condescending talk. I am not a "kid", even though you appear to think of me that way.

Thats not thecase at all.
Im teasing you in a Ame *poke poke* kinda way.
Im just a dumb sexist man Winkso if you tell me youre not upset I'll believe ya.
You have resisted all attempts I have made to relieve the tension in this thread,so Im at a loss what to say.

You did something Amazing,unequaled in all the history of Scrolldom,You got ridda Buccy & with him just about all the 'infiltrators' whom I thought had been ruinin the scrolls for years.
That deserves a special Xena award IMO. Thanx.... Big Grin

I also think you tossed me out at that time too..
I cant say I blame ya, most people thought I was a large part of the problem .
I would beg to differ, but thats all in the past....
You(I think) reconsidered & decided to give me another chance....
Thanx again.
I wouldnt have thought Id ever give you reason to regret that decision & I hope I havent as of now.

<< this may be disjointed Im in & out,writing it over a period of over an hour(at this point) Cause dyin kitty just needs stuff like rite now... Smile>>

Need to post this NOW -- read what I wrote & continue...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brucy Braless,

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Zoomy,

Leave it to me to get into a no win, un-intended, argument with the owner of the scrolls. Eek

Wht bothers me the most is that a large number of scrollers only know me as the rabble rouser who would get into long{seemingly} pointless arguments with motoki & AP.

I wonder how many stopped & thought Gee maybe Brucy was right about them after they all left in a huff.

The place is better off without them ,Im sure nearly all would agree,but Im left with a tarnish rep for givin it right back at 'em.

I need to ponder what ta do... Wink

and here i am kinda wondering how i lost my rabble rouser status...i think maybe i'm just too tired to fight anymore.

or maybe my give a damn's busted...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Ok I hadda take a break from this....
No Lie...
To take my daughter to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Anyone who cant find humor in THAT is beyond the pale ..... Big Grin or is it Pail..??

quote:

you have used the 2 words 'I hate' together many times in this thread & now wish to claim youre not upset.
Wrong. I used those '2 words' once. Why don't you ever bother to go and check what I've actually written?

I stand corrected you used a form of the word hate 3x & I hate only once....

quote:
No one else can answer the question of what I think except me
So why haven't you actually told me what you mean?

{b] you havent behaved in any fashion that might make me want to...I cant win. Whatever I say will only mean what YOU decide it will mean & no other interpretaion will be tolerated. [/b]

Let me explain why Brucy's statement, and indeed the whole discussion around it, is sexist.A value judgement has been made about the sexual behaviour of women, AND ONLY WOMEN.

Brucy thinks:
So say you. I didnt write that YOU decided thats what it meant.

Nowhere has ANY VALUE JUDGEMENT been made about the sexual behaviour of men.

"there is in a different reply. thats not QUITE no where.

When the values of women are judged, but the values of men aren't, that is sexist.

Again thats your interpretation of what I said. Not what I said.

And before you say that only women were answering the poll in this thread,Brucy answered it.
And before you say that he was including his own sexual behaviour in his judgement, he wasn't. He took great pains to add "I just want to add the ladylike remark was in reference to the previously replying ladies not myself.....

Brucy states:
I hardly took great pains I realised after I posted & looked what I said that in effect called my own behaior 'ladylike' I thought it was silly/funny & left it & posted after to make a joke which I think would give most rational people a grin.

And before you say that the word "ladylike" is inclusive of both women and men, it isn't. A more inclusive word would have been "mature", as in "We have ALOT of late bloomers around here,I see.I think thats very mature."

brucy says:
This is what I mean by saying you dont disagree youre just being dis-agreeable.

And before you say that the word "ladylike" isn't making any sort of judgement, other women who replied said that they found the word "good" or "strong". A positive judgement, but a judgement nonetheless.
I don't need anyone judging my sexual behaviour.
Thank you and goodnight.

Hay!If I could get outta this by saying :

"OK! OK! Argy's not a lady...Excuuuuuuse me..." :P

I would. But that will only get me in deeper in this morass.
Id be inclined to put money on it that even YOU cant think of anything I can say that will pacify you.

I hope that someday you will return to this thread when youre NOT 'Not Upset" & read what you wrote. Wink
I feel I have been pretty nice about alla this.I also feel you have attacked me for your perceptions as if they were facts.

This has gotten so F'd up Im not even sure what to say.

Im sorry you feel 'judged' but I suspect everyone is judged eveyday by everything they say & do.
I know I sure am.
Perhaps the 'issue' isnt really about or with me..????

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old moldy:

or maybe my give a damn's busted...

I hope thats not the case. I hope its all better real soon...
*giggle*

Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like an answer that deals with the WHOLE of my question at once: why is it 'ladylike' to have sex at an older age?

*cough* *raises hand in big fight and looks small and inoccent*

I actually answered that question, but you seem to have missed it, Argy.

See? *points*

quote:
Originally posted by Drusilla:
One part, ONE SMALL PART (!) of being ladylike to me is having sex at an older age. I have a very dear dear friend that is younger than me (22) and has had sex since before the age of 15. And she is VERY ladylike. So, it is just a small, small part of it.

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder why God gave us language at all since it seems to cause so much heartache between us, but then I remember that he wanted to tell us some things, and he already had words, so he used them.

Ever since, we've been misunderstanding…

Do we really think we don't have PC attitudes here at the scrolls? I've seen it twice in just the last week: the word "fag" from a song and now this: "ladylike."

From the wiki dictionary:

fag (plural: fags)
(UK, Aus/UK slang) A cigarette.
(UK slang) A chore; an arduous and tiresome task.
(US slang, offensive) A male homosexual.
Note: This is offensive only if used by a non-homosexual person to describe a homosexual male. Homosexual persons often use this term in describing one another.
(UK (archaic)) term used in UK public schools for a younger student acting as a servant for senior students

ladylike:
Adjective
ladylike
of or connected with the appearance or behaviour of a well-mannered woman

First, the use of fag in the context of the songs forum:

It was part of the lyrics! Do we just cut out all lyrics that might offend someone from now on? And why is it so bad anyway? If they can use it between themselves why can't anyone? It's like the word "nigger" you hear that all the time on the streets. It has a meaning to them, why can't anyone use it who wants to say the same thing?

These aren't questions that can be answered. The fact is that the same word can mean different things to different people and/or in different contexts. Lenny Bruce tried to untangle this human problem and he went down. I'm not going to do any better.

Next, the use of ladylike:

In this context it was meant to mean that the decision to wait until a later date to have sex has an implication of propriety that holds true for women. That is not a judgment. It's a true statement of a belief that our respective cultures happen to hold. Is it sexist? Yes! I don't know why Brucy would feel the need to say it wasn't. However, if I know Brucy, he wanted to say that he doesn't identify with this particular attitude i.e. that to be ladylike one must abstain from sex for a certain amount of time.

I question why I would jump into this fight when I could remain safely in the distance. (I've already had my share of problematic discussion for the year.) But I did so because I saw so many people trying to help Brucy out of his word trap and because Argy wasn't getting any of it.

Argy- You put up this very sensitive topic starter and then pounced on the first person who didn't meet your criteria for "positive speak." You're asking about sex, personal stuff here, stuff that could be used to hurt people. And look, someone did get hurt! I'm not surprised!

Argy-You owe Brucy an apology for misunderstanding his intentions and implying that he was being sexist.

Brucy I liked your comments about PC ness earlier in this thread. We have gotten tired of it (PC) lately. Controlling language is not going to fix the fact that people get hurt by language. IMO We have to work on a deeper level if we want to stop hurting people.

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i may have lost my rabble rouser status, but i am so enjoying being part of the rabble y'all are trying to rouse...

language. words. i love them. they can be surgically presice or obtusely vague. they can be utterly nonsensical, or they can encapsulate a perfect nugget of truth--simple and pure or dark and convoluted. and, ever so importantly, they can carry implied meaning, and they can create imferred intent. this has been extremely interesting from an observational standpoint, but i wouldn't wade in if the lot of you were drowning. (purely figurative...you all know i'd dust off the ol' lifeguard skills if any of you really were taking on water... Wink ).

i love words for the same reason i love the color green. so many shades...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Amen to Zoom

I mean, not Amen...

I agree

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Discord Man
posted Hide Post
Eek Wow this is new....for me on here anyway.

Hmmmm...How bout think of something to "hate" or "dislike" together like long lines or high gas prices. Sorta like on "Been there done that" ...joxers solution(although they were all killed by arrows from both sides so that kinda scratches that) But as for the "ladylike" thing goes, I see both povs,and to me it looked like Argy took the statement like brucy was saying women couldnt have sex before 21 or it would be sleezey, and Brucy
meant that He waited til 21 to have sex because he was raised to believe that. So this is where it crashed into this...

Its like if I said to my 14 year old niece that she couldnt have sex because she's too young,Now I believe that my niece is too young, but she does it anyway. Yes I would be disappointed but its not up to me because people make their own choices, opinions and so on. I think it was good that Argy spoke up because she wanted to share her opinion about the post with Brucy because she thought it was sexist. And Brucy tried to show his POV as well to prove that it wasnt. So maybe this isnt as bad as it seems. Just a heated debate over a post. So hopefully Brucy will come on back and relize this is just a debate, not a hate personal thing.

I suck at trying to play peacemaker but I gave it a shot because I think it would suck if you two were mad at eachother. I have alot of respect for both ya including everyone else on this board. Ive been on the scrolls long enough to know that you two speak what is on your mind. Which I think is great. Its better to get things out rather to hold them in so maybe this "misunderstanding" was a good thing. Smile

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman

Posts: 305 | Location: Fort Smith AR | Registered: 09 July 2005Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Discord,

One thing I have learned over the years on the scrolls is that "fights" happen often (thus the need for Fight Club) but are usually quickly resolved and hard feelings are rarely held.

Though peace-keepers are always appreciated.

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Discord Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah I figured that but I was on a board a while back and people would have a disagreement and never come back...so that what is what I was worried what would happen. Like I said I havent been around as most of you so I didnt know what was going down.Just trying to help. Smile

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman

Posts: 305 | Location: Fort Smith AR | Registered: 09 July 2005Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Well said Nanzar.

Zoomy ya coward...Razz

J/K

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Discord Man:
Yeah I figured that but I was on a board a while back and people would have a disagreement and never come back...

Heh, we love to hate each other too much to stay away.

Granted, there was the big riff a couple years back...but all the "bad seeds" (Wink) took off

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Zoomy ya coward...Razz

J/K

hey...i said i'd save you if you were really drowning...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I figured that but I was on a board a while back and people would have a disagreement and never come back...so that what is what I was worried what would happen.

Naaa, I don't think that'll happen, Discord Man. At least I hope not anyway....

Nanzar....you rock, woman. Don't let anyone tell you anything different! What you said made more sense than anything i could have said. Well done.Smile

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
agreed.

zoom, the shades of green sound pretty Smile

--------------------------------------

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im sorry you feel 'judged' but I suspect everyone is judged eveyday by everything they say & do.
I know I sure am.
Perhaps the 'issue' isnt really about or with me..????

That's actually what i was thinking. Like Nanzar, you hit the nail on the head.

I mean sheesh, during the race, people commented on my so called "throwin the lovin around," but i guess like zoom my "give a damn" about what people think of me just fell by the wayside awhile ago.

But this subject is obviously sensitive, and if people make comments, it's to be expected. I still maintain that Brucy's comment wasn't intentionally judgemental. It shouldn't turn into an all out war. I do hope you find some peace with this, Argeauz, and i hope you and Brucy work out your differences.

Peace out.Smile
Kate.

~~Johnny Depp.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Um...I'd answer the quiz...but I actually would rather have sex more than talk about it.

But that's just me. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post