Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  Fight Club    "the" ammendment
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"the" ammendment
 Login/Join 
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
Errrrmmmm....the Bible doesn't have the market cornerd on "the all-seeing eye". The Egyptians for one had an all-seeing eye (before the Bible), as did the Norse (Odin's eye in the well. Many belief systems in the Americas had the concept of something all-seeing, an eye or a being or some other thing. The Vikings probably had little communication with the scribes setting down the Bible until much later on. And the many native tribes of the Americas definitely had no communication with the Biblical scribes! Big Grin

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
isn't the all-seeing eye from Zoroastrainism (early Persian mono-theistic precursor of Judeo-Christian belief system) originally? i bet ol' Motoki would know. i think it is though...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scrolliosis:
isn't the all-seeing eye from Zoroastrainism (early Persian mono-theistic precursor of Judeo-Christian belief system) originally? i bet ol' _Motoki_ would know. i think it is though...

It's there too.. and pretty much I figure that's how the whole Judeo-Christian-Muslim ball got rolling was sprung from the Zoroastrians. The eye thing as well as angels was a ubiquitous thing in that part of the world. I've seen Ahura Mazda depicted as a centaur/angel type being with four wings (sometimes dragonfly wings). I'm not real sure about actual canon, as in children and as to who the eye belonged to/was governed by (Ahura Mazda?) or if said eye was some disembodied thing.

I'm going to have to do some digging... I'm thinking the Incan god Inty or else Inty's father (forgot his name) was an all-seeing face (rather than just an eye). A bodiless face I believe. The Aztecs had gods who had different ways of keeping an eye so to speak on the goings on. There were various "I'm watching yoooooouuuuu" everywhere. Partly to instill a sense of security and partly to instill a sense of "watch yourself, bud" I imagine.

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<bailey>
posted
no time to log in.

damn people, follow along. the symbol of the pyramid dates back to the bible. not the eye. i repeat. not the eye. i'm so gonna be online tonight so that i have time to form a thought.

Smile

~b

Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
What, the ancient Egyptians built those pyramids after the Bible?? Well spank my ass and call me Betty Boop.

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
*pout* I can't see it....

Oh waitaminnit... booop boop bee doop!

Scroll Disciple
posted Hide Post
ahh...much better.

i think they are talking more about the concept, than the actual pyramid themselves. the concept of the unfinished pyramid, meaning more work is yet to come. it's not like i've ever read the book, so don't take my word for it...lol.

~b

Posts: 237 | Location: sodak | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post