Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Stonehenge a Giant "Hoo-hoo"????

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Stonehenge a Giant "Hoo-hoo"????
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Submitted for your comments/thoughts.

quote:
From CNN.com:

Stonehenge riddle 'solved.' It's a girl!

Thursday, July 10, 2003 Posted: 10:08 AM EDT (1408 GMT)

TORONTO, Canada (Reuters) -- Stonehenge is a massive female fertility symbol, according to Canadian researchers who think they have finally solved the mystery of the ancient monument in southern England.

In the arrangement of the stones, the researchers say they have spotted the original design: female genitalia.

The theory is laid out in a paper entitled "Stonehenge: a view from medicine" in the July issue of Britain's Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.

"To the builders of the henge, the most critical events in life were birth and death," Anthony Perks, a retired professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of British Columbia, wrote in the paper.

He noted there was no evidence of tombs built by the original builders.

"Of birth, we could expect little evidence. However, evidence may be there but so large as to be overlooked."

Viewed from above, Perks suggests Stonehenge's inner bluestone circle represents the labia minora and the giant outer sarsen stone circle is the labia majora. The altar stone is the clitoris and the open center is the birth canal.

"Could the outer avenue of Stonehenge...represent the way by which new life entered?" the article wondered, adding that when comparing "the layout of the henge with the anatomy of the human vulva. There is a distinct similarity."

Perks, who is traveling in England, could not be reached for comment.

The mysterious ancient monument on Salisbury Plain is recognized around the world for its circle of standing stones.

Perks said the ancient sacrificed child found at nearby Woodhenge bolsters his theory and said an excavation at Stonehenge could produce a similar find.

"In ancient societies, ideas of a dominant creator, a Mother or Earth Goddess, were widespread," Perks wrote.

"If ideas of Earth Mother originated with, or were shared by, the people of the henge, Stonehenge could represent, symbolically, the opening by which Earth Mother gave birth to the plants and animals on which the ancient people so depended.

"The henge would honor her for giving them both life and livelihood."

Scholars say Stonehenge, a World Heritage site, was built between 3000 and 1600 BC. For a time, it was used for ceremonial burials of local chieftains. Theories for why it was built range from a temple, an astronomy site, and a variety of spiritual and temporal purposes.

David Batchelor, an archeologist with English Heritage, which manages the prehistoric site, was hardly convinced by the latest speculation.

"I would be skeptical of that...but the Stonehenge people are entitled to draw whatever conclusions they wish. Some are more probable than others," he said.

"The only thing we can know with certainty is that we will never know why they built it. All we are left with is what has survived 5,000 years of time."

-- CNN.com Senior Writer Richard Stenger contributed to this report.

Who'd have thunk it!?

Those whacky Canadians! Wink

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Extraordinaire
Picture of Opus1EJC
posted Hide Post
Big Grin well that certainly is different

opus

Posts: 90 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
So if Stonehenge is a giant genital it may have possibly given birth to what??... the Rock of Gibraltar?? Plymouth Rock?? Ayers Rock?? The Blarney Stone? Mt Rushmore?(that would've been a multiple birth- ouch!)

The possibilities are endless.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of MaxQ
posted Hide Post
I always thought Stonehenge was built by people who worshipped trees. Now it looks more like they worshipped bushes.
Gosh, how I love anthropology.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but, a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

Posts: 28 | Location: Avon, NY USA | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
Picture of Cora
posted Hide Post
figures.. sounds like something we would come up with... most of us have that subject on the brain LOL

Posts: 428 | Location: Canada | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
"Ohhhh, building a henge are we?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blue on black, tears on a river
Push on a shove, it don't mean much
Joker on jack, match on a fire
Cold on ice, a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream, doesn't mean a thing
Won't bring you back
Blue on black

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
heh....

Scroll Disciple
Picture of XexyWarriorGoddess
posted Hide Post
That so figures.The theorists were probably all men or lesbians too.Haha.Me personally,I believe Stone Henge was an ancient Druid site of sacrifice at one time or another.The stones in the middle were shapped and formed as an altar where blood from sacrifice from grooves chisled into them.All very fascinating to me. Big Grin

=============================
Now if only I hadn't lost that key to the World's Mass Destruction Kit.....

Posts: 243 | Location: Oblivion,Center of the Earth | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of bloodyclownboy
posted Hide Post
the mixing of both theories would call for a mighty big tampon.

Posts: 28 | Location: hell / right under Austin and 3 steps to the left | Registered: 17 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Does that make the pyramids a bunch of boobies?

Posts: 493 | Location: over here | Registered: 23 July 2003Report This Post
<LadyWillow>
posted
OMG Shawn, that's from Eddie Izzard! *is still laughing so hard that tears are coming down her cheeks* I love him SO much!

"Help you push them along? All right, 'tis not far, is it?" LOL "200 miles?! 200 miles in this day and age, I don't even know where I live anymore!!"

The man is certainly a genius.

Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
he's freakin' hilarious.

so Lady Willow--who are you?

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

i beg your pardon
i never promised you a rose garden

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
<LadyWillow>
posted
I would be a kinda lurker...who is having the unfortunate time of not being able to log in for some reason. Argh. *kicks computer*

Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of XexyWarriorGoddess
posted Hide Post
They also say that Stonehenge is a battle monument for the Natives of England way back when

Now if only I hadn't lost that key to the World's Mass Destruction Kit.....
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.

Posts: 243 | Location: Oblivion,Center of the Earth | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Yep Ms Eddie is one of my favorites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone, caught in your mystery
Keep it angry
Keep it wispy
I've fallen down
Drunk on your juices
Turn my head
It's aimed at you

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<stranger>
posted
I LOOOOOVE eddie izzard. I have that sketch on my iPod!!! the other day i was laughing like an ass at work cause i was listening to it. so all people know is i'm all alone, giggling to myself...... eddie rules.

stranger

Report This Post