Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    All scrolls All scrollers
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
All scrolls All scrollers
 Login/Join 
Dream Scroller
Picture of Rellik
posted
I was pondering to myself (and salem) late this night wondering and remembering my first experience at the scrolls, trying to remember the people most prevalent, the events...
and the big what if.
yes, again, What if there were no scrolls?

I would love for everyone and anyone to share their very first scroller experience. and try to remember that not all of us were from way way back in the day of older scroll versions.

How long since you first joined?

tell us what it was like?

The scrollers (good or bad), the names, the signatures, the events, the seasons the jokes maybe?
-The history behind the eyes of every scroller newbie in their generation.

And if possible, could some answer that big what if? -no fillers, unless its truly heartfelt.

and Ive been wondering...
who was the very first scroller?

(I will answer for myself soon, i wrote everything out, but the first attempt to make a thread didnt work, and therefore, all my writing dissapeared.)

[This message was edited by Rellik on 08 October 2003 at 03:45 AM.]

Posts: 410 | Location: canada | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Damn, let me think I lurked way back on the very first version and only posted maybe two times before we switched to Scrolls Version 2.0

That was back when Tom would still post. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't think we had sig pics back then.

Now a favorite of mine wasn't toooo long ago. I loved Ame's Sep @ birth sig pics. Too funny. That was about Season 5. ROC and Ewok still makes me giggle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight
Lead me, out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i think my time frame for finding the Scrolls was about the same as Shawn's--maybe a month or so after.

i think the first thread i read was lil tiki's--which i have to honestly say threw me at first since i wasn't sure how the pics she was posting of her tiki collection connected to Xena. but apparently it didn't put me off sticking around long enough to figure out what a cool place this was/is.

i remember posting the first/only fanfic i'd written and getting good responses--that was cool. i remember giving Lyre, Lyre... a second chance based on the exhortaions of more than one scroller whose opinions i had come to respect. i remember thinking that Minion of Callisto] was a woman and that the Xenatizer did things with English as a second language that put my attempted mastery of my own native tongue to shame.

i'll be back to post more as it comes to me. i don't think i'll be pondering the big "what if..." though--i can't really even imagine that at this point...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

if i wanted to kill you you'd be dead already...

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Extraordinaire
Picture of Opus1EJC
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhhhh..........I joined the scrolls after I moved to Texas about 4 years ago. This would be around the end of season 5 beginning of season sixish (I think).
I stumbled upon the scrolls in my fervent desire to lean more about Xena and Gab. and joined up with this group when Tom was still a moderator and all.
Anyway, I immeditely fell into the subtext category, was welcomed by the Twin Xenas and meet a cool scroller named Xexy that is now Vyperblade (I am sure you have all seen or heard from her since she isn't a quiet one).
Hummmm.........what else. This is the longest post I have ever made. I am typically a lurker whopops in to give her interesting opinion now and then.
So yeah. I love the scrolls :-)
Battle on Ya'll

OpUs (her thoughts)

"If God created me in His image, I have more than returned the compliment."

-- Mrs. Betty Bowers

Posts: 90 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I got here via a link from Tom's page sometime in late 1998/ early 1999 I think. I was new to the internet and just poking around.
It was the original scroll version and I mostly lurked and answered surveys back then. The most prolific scrollers at the time were Ame, Xenatizer, Lor, Brucy Braless, Fillipa (sp?), lil tiki, Linxi, Donna, Robyn, Tom, Martine, Herc ...
There were no forums. I don't even know if we had mods. I don't think so.
It took about 6 months and one name change for me to actually start a post. I asked who lived in, knew about or had visited New Zealand as I was planning a trip and wanted the inside scoop. It was met with a barrage of replies and emails from scrollers who had just returned from NZ (Lor) to Scrollers who were from Oz -another stop on my trip (Ame, Eirene, Argeaux -who spelled her name with an "O" at the time!), to newbie scrollers who were going to happened to be traveling from the U.S. to NZ at the same time (Brian & his wife). Soon I was starting posts, exchanging emails,installing ICQ, and making plans for a big meet up down under. The rest is history.

More answers later...
-----------------------------------
" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Man oh man...I joined the Scrolls in December of 2001. Back in the day when you had kick butt names for how many posts you had. Ooh and stars, you had stars under your name for your number of posts or if you were a mod, you had sparkly stars.

I found a link at Tom's page and lurked for a bit before I said hello. The forum which I felt I fit in the most was Fanfiction and Poetry, moderated by Argeaux & Herculena back in those days. I met a girl and fell in love with her in front of complete strangers, not caring what they might think or say. I shared parts of myself with the people who frequented the forum such as the Xenatizer, Argeaux, Seraphin, Linxi, Gabber, mons, Minion of Callisto and others.

I also frequented the General & Subtext forum on occasion. I used to participate in the surveys a bunch and gradually formed a solid group of friends.

I won Most Active Newbie along with Tonya. I became the FF&P mod, which was just awesome and became rather good friends with almost all of the guardians who included lila997, eyezoom, Shawn, Seraphin, Linxi, Amethyst, Argeaux, xenacrazed, Amazon Priestess, and Sailor Xena. Those were some good times.

As the others have said, I'll be back to post more, there's so many memories. Smile

I offer no apologies for the things that I believe and say
And I like it that way

I'm not conceited, I'm convinced.

I really am great, you know.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
i remember that Fillipa was all over me. so was Linxi, and Seraphin too.

but those days are over. . .

now Jubilee is all over me, along with Ame and CorXena*

those were the days.

*corxena may not actually be all over me

WARNING: What you just read represents my opinion so that means it should matter.

Posts: 494 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
hmm i think i joined sometime in 98.. i had only read post for at least a year before i even joined.i do remember the stars that used to be under peoples names. i know tom was still updating his page and i i tried to be the millionth person to visit his page... i failed someone beat me to itFrown i don't remember too many names back then that scrolled Corxena,linix, brucy braless, Argeaux, Seraphin, Amazon Priestess thats a few and i can remember when i think it was Corxena that showed us pictures of her room,her in the mountains on vacation or something and i think she had a spider ring or something and when she got her hair cut. for some reason those pics come to mind. at the time I was was scrolling under Gabbysxenasgirl . now that im writing its all coming back... geesh the good ole days

Posts: 14 | Location: naples fl | Registered: 02 October 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
I remember you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight
Lead me, out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Prof. Lurker
posted Hide Post
oh, nostalgia...
I first went to Tom's page interested on pictures, I had a very bad reading and couldn't write a single line in English by the time, so I don't know why I opened the scrolls link.
But there I saw a post saying "Xena saved me!" (by a certain European girl), I got so fascinated that I start reading more and more, albeit some Xenacrazed and Xenatizer's posts were like Greek language to me.
I only registered in May 2000, and my first thread has been in December.
The first scrollers to reply to me were False Hope, Tonya, TwinXenas and Wildwind.
I can recall most of people's handles from that time.

Posts: 571 | Location: Brasilia | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Ahh yes. I do like reminiscing indeed. Smile

I first happened onto the Scrolls in December of 2001. I had heard about the Scrolls long before then, but I was a member of the Nutforum, happy to be there, and felt no need to venture anywhere else...until it was closing. Heh. Razz Then I decided I needed to find a new place to roam...I came to the Scrolls to see if maybe I could feel comfy here. And actually, when I looked everything over, I felt more comfy here than I ever did at the Nutforum.

So I posted one of those "hi!" threads because I saw others had done it. People said hi to me, like lila and Sara...I can't recall anyone else, although I know there were more.

But I didn't quite "fit" in anywhere until I headed into the Fanfiction and Poetry forum. I knew that was going to be my niche after I read everyone's stuff that was up. I decided it'd be a good time to put up one of my poems, and well, it WAS a Xena forum so I put up my only Xena poem at that time called "Breaking Down My Reality." It got a few replies... from Alex, Sara, and mons. After that, I started posting my, heh, "off topic" poems as I called them...which I have been posting basically ever since.

And yep, talk about fallin' hard...because I started falling for Sara right after that poem. Little by little. But enough until we started talking one on one. lol, I'm sure we drove Argy crazy with the chats on our poem threads. So much so that she made us our own chat thread so she could just delete the whole thing when it got outta control. Ahh, the things one does to further along love- chat threads and hot tubs in a coffin. Heh! Big Grin After that, I guess you'd say our "love story" is Scrolls history.

I remember growing close to a few Scrollers in particular back in the day (and some of 'em, I'm still close to): Sara (obviously), Argy, GabstheGreatest, Pandie, WP9, Nanzar, and mons. Those were my buddies. Unfortunately, quite a few of them aren't frequenting the Scrolls as much as I wish they would. I miss 'em. Frown

Things I loved? The joking around. The deep topics. The poetry challenges we always did in FF&P...and mainly the way us poets would inspire each other by posting poems and stuff so dang much (ya'll need to post more dangit!). Ame putting up all her Jessica pics as the little evil sunshine was growing up. The support of my Scroller friends. Heh, and even sometimes when I would join in, I enjoyed the arguing. Wink

As for the what if question...man... you can't do that to me. Yikes... that's hard. I mean...man... if there were no Scrolls, I would have never met Sara and fallen in love and developed a true future...my poems still wouldn't be up to snuff ('cause FF&P has been the place that has helped me grow)...I wouldn't have met these cool people and developed friendships with them...I wouldn't have this little safe haven to come to whenever I need it. I certainly know my life would be WAY different. Where would I be? I dunno. Maybe still alone or maybe with someone who wouldn't be my future, maybe still confined in my little poetry universe, maybe most of all...still a kid not willing to grow up. Because this place, these people, have been the thing that has helped me grow up and become an adult. That's priceless for sure.

I'm babbling. Smile You asked for it, dangit. Razz I just love this place...and I don't like the what if, lol, it's too scary to think about. Razz

~Gabber

"All day I think of schemes
To get you next to me
I want you so bad that I can barely breathe
It's a sign of my obsession
That I can't stop thinking about

Your lips upon my lips
Your fingertips on my fingertips
Your skin upon my skin
Would be the sweetest sin..."

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I don't know when i joined.... seriously, until Hercy or Ully or someone posts then i'll remember the year.

The first scroller that is still a member was Herculena.

The scrolls opened in April 98 (or was that 97, see i'm shocking with dates).

We had no mods until Sept of the same year it opened, because before that we didn't really have problems with trolls.

I can't remember my first thread, or my first scroller i spoke to, but i can remember firsts for speaking to certain scrollers.

I posted at the scrolls before i ws pregnant and Jess is now 3 1/2. So i'll try and say around 5 1/2 yrs?

Please someone older post so i can check my dates.

========================

Leo: Hey, you want to freeze me in bed for your own personal pleasure, that is fine, but freezing Natalie is not gonna make her or the Elders happy.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know exactly when fair Lady Ame appeared on the first version of the scroll: May 89, almost 2 months after I chanced on it.
I know because I knew her website even before I knew the scroll, so I thought I was well prepared as well as thrilled when I saw her name pop up.
Futile, of course, cos no-one can ever be prepared for the onslaught of this lady. Big Grin
It took her no less that 1 1/2 years to crack my inner-most defenses, but that's actually a good score. No-one else ever managed it at all.

Razz

back later with more insights on the dawn of Scroll history
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

may 89.. damn i am good.... like 8 years before i even found the internet...LOL

========================

Leo: Hey, you want to freeze me in bed for your own personal pleasure, that is fine, but freezing Natalie is not gonna make her or the Elders happy.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Ah... *blush* ... a severe case of reversal.
May 98, of course. blush

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
been at the scrolls off and on since that summer of '98

herculena, alan, the xenatizer (aka ully Wink ), amethist, sharona, funk, ripley, fellipa, linxi, max, tarena, paul, kate, brucy.. those are the names that come to mind
i'm sure i'm forgetting, but it has been awhile

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
My first day on the scroll... *sigh* ...
There's never been a similar event before or after.
There I was..., hardly capable of writing decent English, complaining about how Xena got more and more reduced to a device, rather than a person. While Gabbites were gushing sweet nothings all over the place, there was no-one acually loving Xena in all her controversal glory.
So, after only 30 minutes of lurking, I couldn't help but barging in and post a glorious and flaming defense of the warrior princess.
After only a few minutes I was welcomed as part of the then little scroll family.
Help and appreciation from everyone.
I've never felt so welcome.
Sharona.
Alan.
Brucy,
Filippa.
Herc.
... and all those I forgot unrightfully.

What a day!

Big Grin
The Xenatizer

Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
I found the Scrolls in '99 and lurked for a month or so before joining. I still remember reading posts in tech in 7th grade. o_O I was one of the youngest Scrollers, along w/ alanna, and am still the youngest (posting), I think.
Tonya and Salem were the first Scrollers I talked to outside of the the Scrolls.
You've all influenced me in my formative years and in less than a year I'll be off to college...but I'll still post, of course. Smile

I doubt, therefore I might be.

[This message was edited by Frip U on 11 October 2003 at 12:55 PM.]

Posts: 218 | Location: OR....or what? | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yeah, what Tam said. That's who was here when I got here which I think was shortly after Tam. I now remember that I got a computer for my birthday in Nov 98 so it was on Christmas break of 98 that the lurking began. Smile

As for the what if... no thanks. I have made too many online acquantances and RL friends at this place. I visited places I may never have been to (Subtexas, Pasadena, Canada) and got involved in projects I never would have dreamed I'd be involved in (helping run a fanclub, organizing charity drives, and even was a warrior bridesmaid Smile. I now have friends all over the world- LITERALLY! I also dragged a couple of RL friends here (QB, Arista) and got them hooked on the scrolls -mwahahaha!
So I am thankful that what if is not a possibility. Life would be very different and not quite as rich were it to be true.

-----------------------------------
" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
I dont remember anything.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I stumbled across the Scroll in May of 1998 after following a link from Tom's page trumpeting his "brand new message board". I think I'd been looking for Xena wav. files. There was one page and perhaps thirty posts at the most. There were about three episodes left in the third season of X:WP and the Rift was the major topic of discussion. The second week I was here, Seraphin (the character--the Scroller had not yet appeared) had been subject to much ridicule.

I don't remember the first thread I posted in, but I did so the second or third day after I found this place. I never bothered to introduce myself. I just jumped right in, because it was so new there was particular group to introduce one's self to. The Scrollers around at that time were Filippa, Herculena, Antiwolf, Sharona, Noelle, Ripley Linxi, and Brucy Braless. Brucy annoyed me at first, but someone had posted a chat room link and the only ones there when I was were Alan and Brucy. Brucy proved himself a much more interesting conversationalist. Alan decided that neither of us were very interesting. Tam, Amethyst, Ulrich came very soon after that.

Funny how Ulrich never remembers me. smash

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
We-ell, selective memory, innit?
I really can't place any vows on who was first.
My first post was registered on the very last days of April 98, so I jumped to the conclusion that I belonged to the first bunch of scrollers, but I never listed 'em, which means that I might've missed the odd founding member.
Naturally, I remember the ones who answered my first post first.
(Title: "Does Anyone Actually 'like' Xena?")

confuddled Confused
The Xenatizer

[This message was edited by The Xenatizer on 11 October 2003 at 02:43 PM.]

Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
Good lord! Am I supposed to remember this? Jeez! Well, I am going for a try...

I don't remember when I started to visit this place... I do remember when I first visited Tom's Xena Page, though and that was around 1997... when I read about it in a SF-magazine that my hostfamily bought me when I was an au-pair in the US.

I didn't find the scrolls back then, and I didn't start to post until I got back to Sweden around 1998 or 1999, I am not sure.... I lurked alot before I started to post, though....

The people I remember most is CorXena, SailorMars, TwinXenas and Xenacrazed... I miss him... I also remember Argy and Buccaro and Brucy Braless (wich I thought was one and the same in the begning...)

I also remember my exremly bad spelling back then... It has improved, but not much...

I remember alot of fights, but also alot of good times.... And those are the ones that I will keep with me...

I remember all the artwork that people made! What happend with those? More please...

I remember being called "The Kinky Swede" by Argy.....

My memory isn't that good... Maybe someone else rembers more...?

Moonshade
-Still the kinky swede!

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
October of 2000, I believe. There was another board that linked to an interesting thread here. I came, made a joke, got a laugh, stayed, made friends. ta-daaaa Smile

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
what--you didn't come to poke at the "stalkers" with the rest of the Nutforum? funny how the really freaky ones all left when we poked back...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

a long time ago you told me that the Cycle of Hate has to end, and the only way to end it is through Love. it's a hard lesson to learn. Callisto couldn't possibly know or understand that.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post