Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    What scares you?

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What scares you?
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted
I'm curious to find out what other people are afraid of.
Any fears you can't explain?
Anything you're afraid of that you think is silly to be afraid of?
Do you have a phobia? What is it?
What are you afraid of? (anything you didn't list up above)

I'll start, simply becuase I'm bored.

Any fears you can't explain? I'm terribly afraid of canoes and other small boats (pretty much anything w/o a bottom square footage of 20 ft.), and I don't know why. Anytime I get into a small boat, and hyperventillate, and I start to cry. I don't know why, either do my parents. So either I have a repressed memory of a tragic accident and my parents have been lying to me, or I'm just wierd (most likely).

Anything you're afraid of that you think is silly to be afraid of? I'm actually afraid of the dark. Like, being alone in the dark. If I'm watching TV, I'm ok, but as soon as I turn off the TV, I need a light on. I don't like to walk to my car after work if the light isn't on over where I've parked it (Not because of murderers, just because it's dark.) I think this is rooted in fear of the unknown, or something.

Do you have a phobia? What is it? I'm not sure, the boat thing might be classified a phobia...I'll find a psychologist...

What are you afraid of? I'm afraid of bugs. One summer, I was...um, 14 or 15, and I went into my bedroom to go to bed. Well, I went over to my windows to close them because it was a little chilly. When I walked around my bed, there were TONS of dead, exploded, bugs all over the floor. It was totally scary, and I slept on the couch for a whole week.
And I guess you could say I'm affraid of being cut. I don't mean falling and getting cut, I mean actually eing cut by something. Cutting myself when chopping veggies, or actually having someone cut me...yoik!

Haha, now that you've had a look into my crazy mind...Tell me abut yours!

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
I can't explain any of my fears for they're all somewhat weird!

I'm horribly afraid of myself sometimes and of the fact that I constantly hurt others although I don't want to!

As for being afraid of certain animals or stuff like that...I cant really think of anything now.

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Um...K, any other takers..?

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid of answering Scroll threads.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I have a paralyzing fear of snakes. It's called Ophidiophobia. I can't even watch them on TV without freaking out.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post
We are both scared of talking. Silly, isn't it? We get tongue tied and just tighten up and our hearts beat so fast when people start talking to us. We are afraid of not being understood, of mispronouncing words and not knowing what to say.

We are scared of being around so many people.

What are you afraid of?
Insects and bugs like spiders. Dogs. When we were younger our brother was bitten by our cousin's dog because he was reaching for his toy under the sofa and the dog was there. Anything that has teeth because they could bite us.

We are afraid of being separated from each other.

<mons>
posted
Fear of being alone for the rest of my life and not finding a career that i love, or being 50 yrs in and thinking "oh hell, wrong path". just fear of screwing up, and fear of missing life cause of my aforementioned stupid fear.

being someplace without a bathroom. but my mom says when i was little i would go someplace new and say "do they have a bathroom in this place" and she would say "yes, why--do you have to go" and i would say "no, just checking". maybe this is more of a concern than a "FEAR". but i still check now-a-days. will i not go in if there isn't? well, of course... but then i'm nervous! WHAT IF I HAVE TO GO! [Wink]

yup. trying on/ wearing rings. i'm always afraid they will get stuck. and when i put one on that fits, i get all sweaty palmed and hot when i try to take it off. when i DO wear a ring, it can slide on all my fingers. so, like a wedding ring, fits my thumb too. for safety. [Big Grin]

What are you afraid of?
centipedes. i had to confront one once while butt naked. that'll humble a person.

Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Accidentally driving into a body of water in my car. Not necessarily driving off a bridge into water (though that would be bad too) but more like driving down a road and having it abruptly end in a lake. Those Amphibeous tour vehicles make me nervous.
Unexplainable because I've never been in any sort of accident of this type and I'm not afraid of water in general and I know how to swim.I think it's based in some sort of recurring nightmare that Freud would have a field day with.

Don't think it's an all-out phobia but at least it has a name: Caulrophobia - fear of clowns

[ March 19, 2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: lila997 ]

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I totally understand the part where you're not afraid of water or anything.
That's why my canoe/small boat fear doesn't make sense.
I love to swim and snorkel, and I am even certified in SCUBA, so it's not like water is bad for me. I've gone all the way through swimming lessons, so I don't know why I fear boats.

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Jubi.. that boat story is so cute .. All I could think of was hugging you close to me ...as we sit in a small boat & you look up through your tears into my eyes& say

Thank you Brucy for helping me ..
I do feel better now .. [Big Grin]

& I reply..

"Anything for you lil Sweetie .. now next step we take the boat out of the middle of your backyard & try this at the grassy spot above the beach at that pond ..."

Then we take the boat right on the beach... yadda yadda yadda.."

Im not Teasing you ...You're just so damn Adorable .. You ARE!!!

Thank you for starting this thread its GREAT!!

I cant get the mental image of a naked mons ...battling the Centipede King!!
I imagine her dancing about with a Shinyy silver slipper in the light of the Full moon...

Lord its GOOD to be a man.

& look at Argy... what a Xena !!
Facing her fears with actions above & beyond the call of duty. Woo hooo!

[Big Grin]

[ March 20, 2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Brucy Braless ]

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by TwinXenas:

We are both scared of talking. Silly, isn't it?
No Its not.I suspect that you 2 have been the center of alot of,at least partly,unwanted attention as you grew up,Maybe being a bit SHy in nature, you found this a bit difficult to deal with & that causes you your present anxietys to this day..??

We get tongue tied and just tighten up and our hearts beat so fast when people start talking to us. We are afraid of not being understood, of mispronouncing words and not knowing what to say.
I can sympathise with this it happens to me too,especially when Im dealing with some one I domnt know & want to leave a good impression on.
Or If I have to say something in front ofa crowd of People ..Pure torture.I HATES it.

We are scared of being around so many people.

I dont like crowds either.

What are you afraid of?
We are afraid of being separated from each other.

[B]That is SOooo cute.
Im falling in love with both of you.
You 2 are absolutely Perfect.
Even your 'flaws' are perfect!!
If you know what I mean. [Big Grin]

Youre the Princesses of Perfection !!!
OK I'll stop Gushing now,I promise!

In truth I wanted to go to the XenaCon this year
partly to see Lucy ... But Also to meet you 2 & maybe Corxy.
HAY !!
I was even willing to brave meeting AP & motoki just to see ya !! [Wink]

But I wasnt doing well & the Finances werent there.
Rite NOW I could almost afford a trip there .. but not then..Aint that something!!

Im gonna post again on this topic because I have Dealt with alot of my own personal bogey-men.
& its an interesting story.
I hope someone can benefit from it.

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I have a fear of Brucy meeting any other scrollers..lol

OK, here's my fear. it's a biggie, i suppose.
Death, and how I am gunna die, will it be sudden, when i am old, or tomorrow, will it be prolonged, like cancer. Some days are worse than others, sometimes i go for weeks not even thinking about it.
It's strange cause I've never had anyone close to eb die (except when i was younger), so maybe it's my lack of knowledge about death that makes me fear it.. dunno.

Other phobia. Someone breaking into my home while i am home alone, in the middle of the night asleep.. I went through several months of insomnia cause of it, I assume it came from having jess, cause it appeared about 6 months after she was born..

Also, another minor one, bridges, its not the diriving off that bothers me..lol.. its the fear of breaking down on a bridge and having cars not stop and hit me.. had it happen once on a long bridge that is really steep going down, then back up, and it's been with me ever since.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post
In response to Brucy Braless, we are speechless. [Blush] [Blush]

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Geesh, I'm terrified of "flying buzzy things"

Wasps, bees, anything that can get stuck in your hair right by your ear will make me scream like a little bitch and go sprinting for cover.

Why I fear them? When I was young, a wasp got stuck in my hair and I used to have REALLY long hair, quite thick too and I was running all around my Grandma's house but I couldn't escape the hideous buzzing in my ear. Finally one of my uncles tackled me and freed it. *shiver shiver shiver* Bleh, that still gives me the heebies with a healthy does of jeebies. [Razz]

Ummm...s'about it, I think. Other than sometimes being in a large crowd of strangers. Childhood thing, I think.

Ahhh, so nice to know I'm not the only freak out here. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
AHa !!
Speechless .. why is it that me & Joxer are not surprised!

Unfortunately I have this effect on ALL women..!!

Hugs,
[Joxer]

Scroll Nightmare
Picture of Cora
posted Hide Post
ugh.. I am afraid of *shutters* needles. I am gonna have nightmares just writing this. I guess its a phobia. umm... I get sick if I have to go, I have fainted. *getting creeped out now* I have nightmares for days afterwords. fight inorder not to have to go get one. pretty much freaks me out. faint when I see someone else gettingone. refuse to let the dentist freeze my mouth when I have to get cavitites filled. yup noway nohow.

Posts: 428 | Location: Canada | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't like needles much either, but I don't think it's a phobia. I fainted once in an elevator from getting two shots, but that's cuz I have a vasso vagal nerve response. It runs in my family and causes my blood pressure to drop sometimes, most often if I'm getting an injection of some sort.

I don't think I have any unexplainable fears...

Posts: 218 | Location: OR....or what? | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
BTW Brucy, after that post about my age in subtext.. [Smash] [Smash] , Just thought i'd point out the fact the twinnies are older than me.. so [Razz]

[ March 27, 2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Little Orphan Amie ]

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
HAy ya dont Hafta Beat me over the head wif it...
[Joxer]