Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Favorite book? I need recommendations

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Favorite book? I need recommendations
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
I am almost done with the novel I am currently reading and I am facing a cross country plane ride in about 10 days. Plus, I have a Barnes and Noble giftcard to use... [Smile]
I've been rereading some of the classics but I feel like something new.
So, what is everyone reading these days? What are your favorites?
Make a suggestion for me- PLEASE!

[ January 27, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: lila997 ]

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
And to give you an idea of what kinds of stuff I like *glances at bookshelf* here are some past reads that are taking up space there now (I'm leaving out the heavy stuff - it's my vacation [Wink] )

Naked by David Sedaris
Pope Joan (Donna Woolfolk Cross)
I'm just finishing The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Hours (Michael Cunningham)
I have a few Wally Lamb books up there and almost all of the Patricia Cornwell's
The Pact (Jodi Picoult)
The Red Tent(Anita Diamant)

and lots more...

<Chiana>
posted
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is very good. I don't know if you've read it, but it's about a missionary family from Georgia who move to the Congo during turbulent times. One thing I like about this book is that it's written from the point of view of the mother and the four daughters. You get to experience the story from several viewpoints. Also the story is interwoven into actual history which takes the book to another level.

Another book I liked was White Oleander by Janet Fitch. You may have seen the movie with Michelle Pfifer. The book has a lot of forward momentum so it's a fast and interesting read.

I want to read The Hours , I bet that's a good book. I still need to finish The Lovely Bones . Since I read White Oleander so quickly I'm savoring The Lovely Bones. I'm super curious and at the same time I don't want it to end.

Happy flying! [Gabrielle]

Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yes, please... suggest a book so she can read on the flight and I can sleep.

[Wink]

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<xenacrazed>
posted
not sure if these are your cup of tea but you
never know...

Smilia's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

A mysterious death of a young boy at the apartment building Smilia lives at in Denmark.
Smilia has this "sense of snow" & she doesn't think the death was an accident. As she investigates- or tries
to investigate- the death, more mysterious incidents occur.
The book also details her childhood in Greenland
and there's a running theme of broken families throughout the novel. It was made into a half-way
decent, cult-folling sleeper-type movie a few years back. Great book, cuz.

A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher

Here's something really different. It begins with the mysterious disappearance (kidnapping?) of a young boy from his aunt as they visit an observatory in NYC in 1965. Thereafter the story
revolves around the lives of the boy and his aunt
seperately. But there are subplots and plots layered upon mini-plots- vampires, astronauts,
Atlantis- and it all works & ties togather extremely well. Let's see 'em make a movie from this one! Happy reading...

[ January 27, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: xenacrazed ]

Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
I've just finished another Sedaris, which might be just the thing for a bit of lightweight reading. 'Me Talk Pretty One Day'.

Or how about a bit of British black comedy?
Ben Elton's (Blackadder) latest one's an excellent satire on the 'Big Brother' craze.
Ben Elton
"Dead Famous"

My current personal fav's a rather quirky detective story set in an alternative 1985. Starring: Ms Thursday Next, Literary Detective, hot on the trail of Acheron Hades, villainous genius and kidnapper of characters from works of fiction and holding them to ransom.
It's truely wonderfully written stuff. Was a fan after 20 pages already.
Jasper Fforde (no typo)
"The Eyre Affair"

There's a second one out already, called "Lost In A Good Book."

[Big Grin]
The Xenatizer

[ January 27, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: The Xenatizer ]

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Alice Sebold does have another book in stores Lucky I've not read it thought, so I'm sorry I can't provide you with any info.

Jodi Piocult has a TON of other books out there, and they are fairly popular.

Timeline by Michael Chricton is AWESOME and it just came out in paperback, so it wouldn't take up at much room as the hardcover.

My ultimate favorite books are by Janet Evanovich. They're these fun mysteries, with many bits of sex, lol. Janet's writing is great, and her main character, Stepahnie Plum, is wonderful. Stephanie is a bounty hunter for her cousin, Vinnie's, bail-bonds service. It goes through how she catches the people, with a wacky array of sidekicks, and how she adjusts to being a female bounty hunter. There's lots of romance and sexual frustration, lol, so be prepared. There are currently 8 books in the actual series (the 9th comes out in June, I beleive) and another holdiay book with the same characters. I DEFINATELY recommend these books. Everyone I know who's read them has loved them. They're not going to be the "great american novel" but they're a HELL of a lot of fun. The first one is called One for the Money Go, read it.

[ January 27, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Frozen in Iowa ]

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<le>
posted
One to make you laugh:
Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

A VERY thick book. Got mad at my friend for recommending such a long read. Couldn't put it down. Gave my friend a big hug for suggesting such an excellent read for me!

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Easy yet interesting reading. Memorable characters. Modern day living intertwined with the past. How generations interact. Hilarious dialogue.

I'll stop at two -- sounds like you've got a lot of recommendations to sift through!

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
<le>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by le:
One to make you laugh:
Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

edited to add: too wierd xenacrazed, one evening last week I was waiting on Zoom and found your Peter Hoeg book as a movie on Bravo...I only saw a few minutes of it. But is was so intriguing that I came home later and looked up the movie and then the book online. I'm reading something else now but want to get it next. Then I want to rent the movie. Have you seen the movie?

Report This Post
<xenacrazed>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by le:
[QUOTE] too wierd xenacrazed, one evening last week I was waiting on Zoom and found your Peter Hoeg book as a movie on Bravo...I only saw a few minutes of it. But is was so intriguing that I came home later and looked up the movie and then the book online. I'm reading something else now but want to get it next. Then I want to rent the movie. Have you seen the movie?

yep, i saw the movie when it came out on video
& taped it from HBO year or so later.
They did a fairly decent job in bringing the story from novel to film. The book is sooooo good.
I hope you get a chance to read it, it's well worth it!

Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
You guys are AWESOME! Great suggestions!

Chiana I read Kingsolver's Animal Dreams years ago and enjoyed it. I'd forgotten about her, I should look into your suggestion. And I gave White Oleander to a friend for Christmas last year. I should borrow it back and read it myself!

xc - I've caught parts of the film Smila's Sense of Snow on cable. Now I think I may need to read the book- it's sounds really good.

Xenatizer- Dead Famous sounds like fun. And Me Talk Pretty ... is on my list to purchase if it's in softcover. I like Sedaris.

Jubilee- I like the way you think! Softcover=more room in suitcase. To me that means room for an extra pair of shoes. This is a good thing. [Wink] BTW, did you know that they they made a Lifetime Network movie out of The Pact. It starred Megan Mulally. Errr...no. Some things were meant to be read.

le- you've got great taste! Love the Ya-Yas!!! [Big Grin]

Argy - Right after I read your post a coworker put 2 books on my desk for me to borrow (she also knows my state of booklessness). The top book was Atwood's The Haidmaid's Tale. I think it's a sign from the gods-lol!

Anyway, thanks everyone!I can't WAIT to go to the bookstore. This gift certificate is burning a hole in my pocket!

And keep the suggestions coming! I'm always looking for a new read. And this is a fun thread! [Smile]

[ January 28, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: lila997 ]

Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
Good Omens: the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman. It's a comedy about the coming of the apocalyps and very funny.

Sarum by Edward Rutherford, is also very good....it's huge, but interesting, a historical fiction beginning about 10,000 years ago and ending in the 1980s. Each chapter begins in a different time with new characters.

This thread's great, I just put a bunch of the titles on hold. ^_^

Posts: 218 | Location: OR....or what? | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
Right after I read your post a coworker put 2 books on my desk for me to borrow (she also knows my state of booklessness). The top book was Atwood's The Haidmaid's Tale. I think it's a sign from the gods-lol!

Actually, I like The Handmaid's Tale even better than Alias Grace but it's a very different kettle of fish.

Alias Grace is probably a bit more easier, but it's the uniqueness of A Handmaid's Tale that puts it a level amongst most other novels of our age.

READ IT!! [Big Grin]

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
X'tizer:
i just listened to Sedaris's Naked on tape on a road trip this weekend--read by he and his sister Amy (a truly deranged soul, i fear...). great fun.

a regular holiday event for us is a trip to the one man show a local actor does of The Santaland Diaries. he pegs the Billie Holiday doing "Away in a Manger" perfectly...

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I just got a $100 book gift voucher myself, today, so keep those suggestions coming! [Big Grin]

<gabris>
posted
HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY trilogy by Douglas Adam's......you'll laugh the whole way.

Report This Post
<Chiana>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lila997:I read Kingsolver's Animal Dreams years ago and enjoyed it.
Cool! I have Animal Dreams but I bought it when I had a bunch of money so I ended up buying ten other books that day. I haven't read it yet. I did read Prodigal Summer, but, eh. It's not that it was a bad book, cause I don't think Kingsolver is capable of bad writing. But it's not Kingsolver at her element, where the characters become so real that long after you've read the book, you still wonder about them. After I read The Poisonwood Bible I was like, Wow, how can I ever write another word after reading something so beautiful! It's almost like aspiring to be a god.

Report This Post