Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    The 77th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The 77th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
Well, first up was the list of attractions....it's like the Battle of the Network Stars, but with balloons...

America Sings! a large group of young people singing what must be the blandest song ever written...

more to come....

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
ooooh...it's promotion time for underperforming sit-coms. The cast of "Happy Family" forcing cheer and caroling "Happy Thanksgiving" to Al Roker--who was kind enough to mention when the show airs.

Broadway excerpt....I love musicals, but isn't this supposed to be a parade?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:19 a.m. CST: holy crap...another commercial break

well, the production number wasn't bad, the announcer promises a whole bunch of celebrities coming up after the commercial

9:22
And we're back! There's a quick shot of what looks like Big Bird. Has the parade started? No, we're off to Tracy Morgan plugging his new show. Oh swell. The requisite cute children are there too. They love Tim. awwww

9:24 Another Broadway production. Wicked. Kristen Chenowith is a local girl done good. "One Short Day in the Emerald City"....not really all that catchy, you know?

9:25 Did we need really need an in depth character study of the Wicked Witch? Can't villians just enjoy their wickedness? Did Draco ever apologize for being a greedy, lustful warlord? No! And neither did the Wicked Witch--she never even claimed revenge as a motive, you know. She just wanted those ruby slippers....

9:28 Commercials...they're threatening me with Judy Collins..

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:30 And we're back with Katie and Matt. And they just plugged Donald Trump's new reality series

Cut to Trump in his helicopter..joke about Central Park not being for sale as he explains to us yokels just where the parade route goes. Like this means anything to us yokels.

9:32 Little Shop of Horrors---oh dear, it's a medley instead of a number.
Wow...rough transitions.
Hey, when did Little Shop get to Broadway? It's always billed itself as off-Off Broadway.
Seymour looks like that one guy from Barenaked Ladies. His voice is a little tinny though.

We're off to commercial....Big Bird's balloon has been announced as an upcoming attraction...yeah, we still haven't seen a parade yet..and it's nearly 40 minutes into this extravaganza.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:39
well, I'm getting into the holiday spirit now. Munching on my Planter's Peanuts watching the parade...

Yes! That was Clifford the Big Red Dog....no...we've cut away to Al and the cast of American Dreams. Do we care that vapid actors think they have an understanding of the early 60s? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

9:40....Back to commerical....and the promise of much more parade. What parade? I haven't seen anything Parade yet. I suspect the shots of the balloons were just stock footage from last year.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hope you don't mind me jumping in Nora but...

10:41 EST Aaron Carter sings. He is wearing disproportionally
large red fleece gloves and looks like a muppet. Perhaps his hands are just freakishly large but I'm gonna stick with BAD fashion decision. I don't know what song he is singing. I am distracted by his huge red hands.
ohh, *poof*, he's gone. Cut to commercial. The network production must have realized that he was scaring all the little kids.

----------------------------------

" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I wanna watch it. Paco's watching some Top 22 cds thing on Mtv2. psh.....

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
and we're back with Harry Connick Jr and Al...holy crap is that a float behind them???

Al says all the action is just about "done here". He's moving to Hearald Square. what action was that?

9:44 The Boy from Oz starring Hugh Jackman. But Hugh's not actually here. Smart man is nursing his hangover in bed. Let the child actor do his stuff. It's too damn cold out there. *g* Mum has a dreadful Aussie accent. I swear there's a Texas twang to it.

Chicago, Pikachu, a Simple Plan and the Rockettes coming up. Oh...and some balloons.

What parade?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 27 November 03 10:44 AM
Hope you don't mind me jumping in Nora but...

quote:
10:41 EST Aaron Carter sings. He is wearing disproportionally
large red fleece gloves and looks like a muppet. Perhaps his hands are just freakishly large but I'm gonna stick with BAD fashion decision. I don't know what song he is singing. I am distracted by his huge red hands.
ohh, *poof*, he's gone. Cut to commercial. The network production must have realized that he was scaring all the little kids.

hee...it's alright by me. Especially if you have snark to share

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:51 Katie attempts to make some joke about the Rockettes having legs....god I hate Katie.

The Rockettes never fail to entertain though. An unapologetic chorus line. They're much better coordinated than the kids from America Sings! The music arrangement is better too: "Christmas Jazz".

I guess we have this on tape delay. Jesus, that kind of pisses me off. It's a freakin' hour's difference. I get West Coast tape delay, but c'mon. I hate "live" taped television.

Kick, kick, kick...pinwheel shot for the camera.... short little santa dresses--that's entertainment!

oh, the Rockettes are going to welcome the parade to Hearald Square...and it's only 9:55. There is a parade, right?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:57....oh wow!

It's the PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
11:01 EST eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Clowns! RUN! Eek

" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
9:57...Katie reads her canned commentary about a "Wonderland of confetti and clowns." Can I get a job writing this stuff?

Matt just called it a street party to show that he's down with that.

"Let's talk Turkey, Matt" Katie introduces the turkey balloon. She can't even deliver her cliche with conviction.

A cornucopia with a "bountiful harvest." How bountiful can it be with Judy Collins aboard singing something appropriately dreary. Way to perpetuate that myth about stern Pilgrims.

Amazingly enough, Abby Tabby is not getting agitated when Judy hits those high notes.

10:01

Oh wow. a band from Pulaski, Wisconsin
Nice straight ranks....Chicago????????? why are they doing the damn field show now?

10:03

EEEK! It's Bandmaster Barney the Dinosaur. I thought he'd retired to La Brea? No? Damn.

Now the announcer is threatening me with Hilary Duff. What did I do in my previous life?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
hehe....Lila and I will have sync these up later for the archive. If I last long enough.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
10:06 The M&M float.

"Time for the Exciting Punk Rhythms of A Simple Plan," smarms Matt.

Hey, I know we bitch about being real and shit with music, but I'm pretty damn sure you can't be punk and play the Macy's parade on the freakin' M&M float. Under the smiling Yellow M&M

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
10:08 another high school band(Franklin Regional from PA) doing "Sing, Sing, Sing". It's a classic. The trombones are having fun. The camera man is focusing on the drill team, of course.

10:09 It's Big Bird! I have a confession, I never really like Sesame Street. I was a total Mr. Rogers fan. My brothers were just old enough to introduce me to The Muppet Show, so I looked at Sesame Street as the watered down version

10:10 The cast of Sesame Street singing a Hello song.

oooh....Grover. How can even I not like Grover? But it's Oscar the Grouch who is my soul mate...where's Oscar? Oh yeah. This is way too cheerful a song for him. No...there he is! and not grumpy. that's a disappointment. maybe they gave him some Happy Camper supplements.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
katie drones on about "Hot latin rhythyms" Are all latin rhythyms hot? is it redundant to say "hot latin"? Any thoughts on that?

10:16--Stacy Orincco? is on my screen singing in front of a green dog....well white with green, but Katie and Matt keep calling him Green Dog. Who am I to naysay?

10:18 Bloomington, Indiana Cougar band. Cool uniforms. Are they doing Mellancamp? hey, majorettes. I like majorettes. No fire batons, but very nice work. Nice straight files.

10:19 Arthur balloon....lots of statistics to tell us about just how gosh darned big these balloons are

10:20 Toy Truck float. It's actually kinda cool. Why is Ruben from American Idol on it? Oh well, I like his jacket. It's got all kinds of baseball team logos on it. Cubs and Reds--hehe, above the Yankees. Hee.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
11:25 EST Commercial for the US Postal Service. The song is "I'm-a Gonna Mail Myself To You". Did they not hear of the guy who shipped himself to his family in a large box last year? Does the USPS really think it's wise to be promoting this type of behavior?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
11:31 EST Holy crap! Singer Mya just emerged from the belly of a Rhino! I'm not sure how I feel about that. I am sure how I feel about her oh-so-family-oriented song choice with the lyrics Hold me, touch me, oooh caress me...

Cover your ears kiddies.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I'm boiling water for my third cup of tea. Although it's five o'clock somewhere, I suppose Mom would want me sober at Thanksgiving dinner, so no bourbon shots for me. nuts.

10:25 Bob the Builder Float. Matt tells us Bob is all about team work and self confidence. Matt: Can we fix it? Katie: Yes we can!

10:26 The Heritage Panther band from Texas. They've been wanting to come to the Macy's Parade ever since the school first opened. A whopping 8 years ago. Gimme a break. If a school has only been in existence during my post high school life, I don't wanna hear about the long road. It's a vanity thing-okay?

10:27 The Big Comfy Couch....I don't wanna think about what's in my couch. Lotsa dust mites I expect. It's a good thing I don't suffer from asthma....oh, it's a cutesy song about imagination. Okay, it's not that bad. Written in a minor key to counteract the cuteness.

Is that kettle boiling yet?

Pikachu "the adorable flagship character" balloon. I do not get the whole Pokemon thing. Who knew that the difference between being born in the 70s and 80s was so big?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
10:32 The Fire Crackers Jump Roping Team of Ohio...I'm all exhausted now...I think I hear the kettle...

10:34 The Lego Carousel float. Wow, that's cool. Peter Cincotti singing "My Favorite Things" Oh my. He's awfully decorative. Damn kid. Not even old enough to drink. He's probably gay anyway. No, I don't know that.

10:34 The Portchester High School Band from New York. I like the hats....they are shiny helmets with points...kind of like a glorified Prussian thing. I don't want to think what other schools say to them though

10:37 Little Bill balloon. a quiet, loving show. Never seen it.

10:37 Build-a-Bear float. Hee...Theodore Roosevelt Bear. OH! There's Aaron Carter like Lila said.

Why not brown gloves, baby? A nice, dark, manly chesnut. Not the muppety red. TR would not be impressed.

It's just now occurred to me that the announcer is Don Pardo(Sp?) who does Saturday Night Live. Do you think Don knows this is the real deal and not a skit?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
11:36 EST Great. Another clown. I normally do not have a problem with Ronald McDonald even though he's a clown. But this is a 6 story tall Ronald balloon.

11:41 EST Sorry, I am back. I went into a fugue state for a few minutes as I pictured the possibility of Ronald deflating and slowly decending upon the crowd. Yikes.

11:42 Oh look it's Harvey fierstein dressed as Edna Turnblad from Hairspray- The Musical. I love Harvey. Hey...this isn't a song from the show. It's a Christmas tune. What's up with that?
Apparantly Matt loves Harvey too and he's not afraid to say it. Matt ad-libs "We love Harvey!". Katie either had her mouth full of bagel or she grunted in half-hearted agreement. I don't think Katie loves Harvey.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Katie is jealous because Harvey looks better in a dress than she ever would.

10:43 It's Jeff Corwin and the Animal Planet float. Kool and The Gang lend their presence singing "Jungle Boogie". waitaminnit...Jeff Corwin is dancing--sorta. That white guy dance...
Matt: That group is fresh!

10:44 Roosevelt High RoughRiders from Honoloulu...dammit I can't spell, sorry Hawaiians!
yet another cliche about how the students live in modern homes-not huts. Yeah...and I ride a horse to work while dodging Indian attacks. whatever.

10:46 Clifford the Big Red Dog --Katie: Everything about Clifford is gigantic.
Thanks for that little bit of info, K! Because we just don't get the concept of "BIG".

10:47 Angelina Ballerina float. Real ballet dancers dressed as clowns, eee! okay, harlequins...ballet is sooooo sophisticated!

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
11:55 EST Katie claims that the Garfield balloon weighs as much as 37,000 cans of lasagna. ooookaaaaay, Katie.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
10:52 Cloggers from Elkhorn Nebraska. Katie is amazed that you can clog to any genre of music. Have I mentioned I hate Katie?

10:52 Wild West Express Train float. The cast of Happy Family is back...boy NBC really believes in that show

10:53 Mr. Monopoly balloon. Everyone loves tycoon. especially one who doesn't blather like Donald Trump

10:54 Kilgore College Rangerette Drill Team from Texas. There's like 500 of them...okay, maybe 100.
The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright! Deep in the Heart of Texas!

10:55 Old Crow Medicine Show sponsored by Marshmallow Peeps. They're celebrating the 50th anniversery. Did you know that the original Peeps are still for sale? Really. I bought the Spooky Cat ones at Halloween. I didn't eat them. I gave them to my dad.

P.G. Wodehouse