Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    The 77th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The 77th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
12:00 EST Santa's here! He gets a standing ovation. The Today show team is impressed and possibly mildly surprised. Then Matt explains why Santa got a standing O... if you don't clap for Santa you get coal for Christmas. Niiiiiice. Great lesson in unconditional love for the little ones there, Matt.

Everyone sounds exhausted as they sign off. Well, everyone except Al who rambles a bit about the weather and sounds cheery about his low-fat turkey dinner.

Up next...
OOH HOORAY! A DOG SHOW!

----------------------------------

" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
10:59 some sort of all star colorguard. No offense my dear flag girl companions, but what the hell is the point of a flag girl without a band?

11:00 Central Park Mounted Enforcement Patrol unit. Horses!

11:00 a floating dachsund named Frieda. Katie says she's a hot dog. bah

11:01 Al has joined the team. Matt's excited that he can take a potty break.

11:01 Oh dear God...I'm in hell! it's a special performance by Barney. Did they kick him out of La Brea? Barney: It's always good to use "please" and "thank you"

Oh Barney? Please go decompose into petroleum. Thank you!

11:02 Charlie Brown and the Football balloon. Charlie Brown makes me feel better about my football playing abilities. Although zoom, Sara and Argy might feel differently. *g*

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone sounds exhausted as they sign off. Well, everyone except Al who rambles a bit about the weather and sounds cheery about his low-fat turkey dinner.

oh dear god...that's my reward if I get through the rest of this? Cheer about low fat Thanksgiving?

11:05 The NYC marching band followed by the NYPD mounted unit. I have nothing clever to say about that.

11:06 Miss USA and Matt Blah blah blahing...I think I may just go grab a shower and call Mom

oh wait...there's Super Grover...He cuddles his enemies. Sounds like Wesley and Lilah on last season of Angel. oh sorry. I so did not want to do that, lol. We're seeing a lot of Grover. There must be a snag somewhere down the line of the parade and the director is having to fill time. We've had him three times as long as anyother balloon. Perhaps the director made the Wesley Lilah connection too.

11:10 Jones High School Marching Tigers from Orlando. ah...one of those bands that moves alot. Waving instruments and stuff. I remember my soulless high school band director making us do some drill shit with out instruments. I bitterly resented it. If I'd wanted to wave things about (and to be honest, if I even could, lol) I'd have been a flag girl.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmirkMorgan:
quote:

oh dear god...that's my reward if I get through the rest of this? Cheer about low fat Thanksgiving?

_

Well, no. I don't think he actually *said* 'low-fat dinner'. I was speculating about the root of his happiness.

" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
11:14 Statue of Liberty float. A tribute to Bob Hope. The USO sings a song "When Hope was There". A bit sappy, but I'm amused by the chorus girls in full golfing regalia with clubs. Although Hope probably would have preferred them dressed as showgirls.

Al tells us once more that Bob Hope was immigrant--isn't that amaaaaaazing?

11:17 Dear god...cheerleaders dancing to "An American Medley" oh...they are dressed in Red white and blue and their formation is the American flag. sorta...

11:19 The United States Post Office float with the a golden Bald Eagle. I'm feeling very bitter toward the post office these days. They've been mutilating my mail or not delivering it until about a week after it's wanted. They've lost items I've mailed too. I've never been anti-Post Office before, but this has been ridiculous. Ha...their singer is singing "I'll be Home for Christmas". Not if you went by the damned post office. maybe for Valentine's Day-2005.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
lol, yes, I missed the joke. *g* all better now.

hehe...there's that Post Office commercial Lila was talking about.

Warm fuzzy--no, that's heart burn.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
11:24 Fifty Southern Belles from Mobile...

11:24 The Wiggles Jolly Pirate ship. Al Roker said they're the number one Aussie musical export. Olivia, where art thou?

11:26 OOOH, now this is neat. It's the Wild Thing balloon. Based on "where the wild things are"
oh damn, they're making a movie of it. I hope it's not Grinchified.

11:27....oooh it's the Rhino. Lila mentioned this: Mya and the Rhino belly. Funny, her hair looks like she had to fight her way out. Wink She was right; that's a great family song she's lip synching.

11:28 LMAO I had no idea that Mr. Peanut would be in the parade. I was enjoying Planter's earlier, lol.

11:29 Toy Soldier balloon.

11:29 The Big Apple Circus---OH MY GOD! IT'S THE CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

11:30 There's Ronald McDonald in the Big Red Shoe Car. But now Lila has me looking at the balloon with some trepidation. RMcD is now the Chief Happiness Officer. I'm not touching that one.

P.G. Wodehouse

*re-edited by Nora because Ame's edit makes no sense in context. *g**

[This message was edited by Salem's Fiendly Granny on 29 November 2003 at 01:48 AM.]

[This message was edited by SmirkMorgan on 30 November 2003 at 04:56 PM.]

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
11:34
Million Megawatt Amazing Mike Miller Dance Team. Ain't America great? These girls have worked so hard to get to the Macy's Parade.

11:35 Percy the Penquin preceded by Harvey Fierstein. Damn, he looks pretty damn good in that Mrs. Claus get up. But now I wanna know what Santa knows...no, on second thought, I don't.
Katie forces a smile....

11:38 Georgia Bridgeman Caravan from Valdosta, GA. Damn, there's a lot of 'em. the drill team is wearing stupid head bands and carrying little balls.

11:39 Jimmy Neutron balloon--more inane and meaningless statistics about how BIG these balloons are.

11:39 Malt Shop float (with sponsor mentioned). There's Hilary Duff. Lovely, she's singing about how I can change my life. Shut up little girl. She sounds like a little girl. Unremarkable, really. Who the hell is buying that album?

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
phew...11:43...we just might make it

River boat float with Chicago--they are so not cool anymore. "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" Jason wants a Fender bass...lovely.

I want a great job...what do you all want St. Nick to bring you?

11:45 Kermit the Frog balloon. I love my Kermie..but damn Matt for plugging more NBC programming. Damn Katie, just on general principle.

11:46 Pinson Valley High School from Alabama. Big Noise from Winnetka is a great band tune. which reminds me, I haven't heard any John Phillip Sousa today. Why not? I love Sousa. As a recovering trumpet player a little part of me believes Sousa is God. okay, so I have issues.

11:48 Hershey float with Clay Aiken. He's being swallowed by his turtleneck sweater.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Katie's inner child tells her that Santa is in the air. She's so sincere. I hate Katie.

11:52 A Christmas Carol excerpt--Much revelry in Xmas Past. I read somewhere that Dickens regretted penning a Christmas Carol's ending. I doubt it, I think Dickens was a bit of a sadist...okay, it's only because I can't stand his prose and don't get the motivation of about 50 percent of his characters--mostly his villians.

11:54 Garfield--go read Lila's comment. she said it better than I could

11:55 Matt is trying to build up our anticipation for Santa

11:55 Miami University Marching Band (Ohio) and the Parade of the Wooden Soliders. The color guard is dressed in Santa dresses. one of them just staggered. She got into the egg nog a bit early.

11:56 Al declares the parade "nothing short of spectacular"

11:57 Santa looks a bit like Yellowbeard. Mrs. Claus doesn't look a bit like Madeline Kahn though. I like Santa's suspenders....go read Lila's description of this event, lol.

Well, it's been a thrilling three hours for me. I made it to Warrior Scroller thanks to this little exercise. Matt says he's had a great time...I'd believe him if I were really, really gullible. The ratings success of the Today Show astounds me. I like Al okay, but those anchors---everyone say it with me:

I hate Katie Couric.

P.G. Wodehouse

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
clowns..cloggers...Al & Katie (cans of lasagne?!?)... psuedo punk lip synced in front of a corporate logo...makes me feel better about having been at work since 6:30 a.m. it's now 1:10pm CST, Detroit is beating Green Bay 13-7 with 11:58 left in the 3rd quarter ( i survied, just barely, the halftime shreiking of Jessica Simpson), and i'm about to start in on the hot buttered rum, having just shoved a large piece of ham in my face even as i typed this.

i don't think i'll ever watch another Macy parade--how could it compare to Smirk & lila's running commentary?

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

scratch my nose, will ya...?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I got to see some of it! (after making sure his show was on again this weekend) Big Grin

I thought it was pans of lasagne that she said.

That was an awesome Santa. They need to work on that Mrs Claus, though. She looked about 32.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
That was fun Smile

I look forward to next years parade Wink

---------------

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I read the whole bloody thing just to see if you knew who the wiggles were..lol

And i edited one of your posts.. (wiggles one actually..lol)

========================

Wood: Welcome to Sunnydale High. There's no running in the halls, no yelling, no gum chewing, apart from that, there's only one rule: if it moves, kill it.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salem's Fiendly Granny:

_========================_
http://www.gifs.net/animate/kissing.gif
_Wood: Welcome to Sunnydale High. There's no running in the halls, no yelling, no gum chewing, apart from that, there's only one rule: if it moves, kill it._

Oh the Wiggles are HUGE here! They just did 1 one night show in town and the tickets were ridiculously hard to get and VERY expensive. The American kiddies lovvvvve those Wiggles!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
quote:
Originally posted by Salem's Fiendly Granny:

_========================_
http://www.gifs.net/animate/kissing.gif
_Wood: Welcome to Sunnydale High. There's no running in the halls, no yelling, no gum chewing, apart from that, there's only one rule: if it moves, kill it._

Oh the Wiggles are HUGE here! They just did 1 one night show in town and the tickets were ridiculously hard to get and VERY expensive. The American kiddies lovvvvve those Wiggles!

(oh and Ame, I don't think Nora made a mistake in that post. She was referring to a tv personality/ parade commentator. hehe Wink )

_" Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying- 'I will try again tomorrow' "_

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
OHHHH, ok hehehe

i saw the name and thought, ohh slip of the fingers, and thought i'd do a cover up... teehee

I just thought she musta been talking to her at the same time, since it was something Aussie etc etc blah blah...

Smile

========================

Wood: Welcome to Sunnydale High. There's no running in the halls, no yelling, no gum chewing, apart from that, there's only one rule: if it moves, kill it.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post