Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted
been a while. i'm rusty. hope you like it anyhow.

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

I could hear the wind,
With their steadfast transports
Of sand and assorted debris
Colliding into the diners windows,
And savored the safety,
Harbored in the comfort food, my usual,
I had ordered from Jeremy

He was over on the side now
A white squirt bottle
Readily positioned in his left hand
Wiping the counters with a damp rag
I could see the thin gleam
Of a plain gold wedding band
Calling attention to the light in his life

Would you like some coffee while you wait?
No, thank you, Jeremy. Water is just fine
I couldnt tell him otherwise.
There are just some things you cant ask a waiter for
Aside pancakes and scrambled eggs-dry not fried
I swirled the liquid in my glass, listening to the ice ring like chimes
And watched him walk away

The sounds of grease snapping in the fire
The clinking of plates and glasses
The clicks and scrapes of knifes and forks against emptying platters
I felt embraced in the sounds
Of casual repartee and muted laughter
Like television
Life was living before me.

I wanted to be the star in his life
The beautiful actress ordering a meal from her leading man
A side of cheese sticks and a one-night stand to start
Maybe Ill have an entrée of steak with a brief courtship
And for dessert to finish off
A long deliriously happy marriage,
A meal befitting a queen or a wife, perhaps this hapless dreamer.

Ive been waiting for 20 minutes now
Enjoying the sight of his busy movement
But hunger begins to take over my lust
As I stare at the meal of the patron next to me
Annoyed, she meets my eyes, and moves further left of me
Sending a reminder: it isnt kind to stare at other peoples meals.
No matter how long youve been waiting, or how hungry you are.

Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
A wonderful, wonderful poem mons. Rich imagery and a deep meaning that wafts through it all.

Rather than pick out favorite verses I have a few terms, word combinations that really hit home:

the diner’s windows
thin gleam
emptying platters
his busy movement
other people’s meals

These are just a few of the pictures that come to life in this poem for me because of the wonderful choice of words that you used.

Thanks for sharing

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
monsie,

*grins* You know what I like about you monsie? It's the fact that you tend to ALWAYS make me be all "Ummm" when I read your title and wonder what in the world you're cookin'... and then I read it, and I'm just like "wow, you go girl!" [Big Grin] You did that to me again, when I read your title I was like "Umm, okay..." but then as I read the poem, just yeah, wow, rusty or not, you rocked with this one. [Smile]

It's very beautiful and the closing lines really made me go "wow", makes ya think in a couple of directions and that's exactly why I liked 'em. Overall though, the whole poem is just great.

It's really wonderful to have you back here, monsie. Please, don't be a stranger, life is much more interesting with you around. [Smile]

~Gabber

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Hey g, what up? [Wink] [Big Grin] I can dig this one, truly. Lotsa good imagery going on, I was totally sittin' beside you watchin' the scene unfold. Like I said, I can dig it. [Smile] Nice to have you back and posting stuff, keep it up. [Smile]

~ Sara

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
NANZAR

nice to see you here. [Smile] you picked some weird phrases.... that are pretty damned simple, didn't know they stood out that much, i LOVE that! [Smile] thanks! i liked the thin gleam one. pretty proud of that. i'm really glad you liked it, makes me feel all cozy in side. thanks for visiting.....

GABBER

you know me and titles. [Smile] he he... i hate writing them so they always seem off the wall, hu? *laughs* did you like it anyhoo? the title i mean. i did. he he..

i wonder what directions you thought of.... i turned this into my poetry class. they didn't like the forth stanza, i'm thinking of droppin it. well, not didn't like it, but my teacher said she could do without it.... i thought to myself "bitch what do you know?" he he i liked this one cause it was just a picture... i dont' think i know how to do the deep stuff anymore... *sigh*... i don't know... we will see how things go. i don't want to think about it *dances away singing and humming*

thanks keri, you don't know what it means to here you someone say that. [Smile] this girl needs those pat on the backs... sad, but true. he he

SARA!!

*drops to the floor in utter astonishment*

*lays unconcious*

mons

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Smart ass. [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin] I DO post on occasion, thank you. Feel special, nowadays I honestly can't be bothered to post much, hehe. [Smile]

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
<li'l tiki>
posted
mons,
I have to say that is the coolest poem I have seen in quite some time. You have a unique style and talent. [Smile]

Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
80's Lady

well, hey! thanks for dropping by and reading this one, i wrote it for class. [Smile] for some ineffable reason, that was a real cool comment to hear. [Smile] thanks [Big Grin] i feel all..... SPECIAL.

mons

oh, and sara.... i feel VERY EXTRA special since you dropped by! ..... either that, or my head still hurts from the astonishment and fainting combo. [Confused] [Razz]