Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Your Thoughts on Digital Piracy ?

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Your Thoughts on Digital Piracy ?
 Login/Join 
<Quinn Tescence>
posted
As for myself I have a dial-up account so I dont use file-share software.

I would say most people who download free copies of stuff are unlikely to purchase it anyway.Software copying hasnt bankrupted the software industry.If Dvd & music CDs werent so expensively overpriced this problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place.Thusly, the industries themselves are at least partially at fault.
Taking all the money & high salaries out of music & movies might actually improve the products,in my opinion.

What do you think?

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I concur.

I have downloaded a bit of music in my time.

This has allowed me to 'taste' artists I'm not sure I would like. If I find that I do like them I buy their albums - so I can get the pics, liner notes, better quality sounds, etc.

In this way free music can actually assist sales.

Let's face it, radio has been playing free music for years that you can tape, and this hasn't stopped CDs from selling.

I'm also not gonna buy a 2 CD compilation just to listen to one track that I can't find anywhere else, coz it's too old/obscure.

If music companies started to allow us to choose which tracks we wanted on a 20 track disk this might change my downloading habits.

One more thing. No one pays me a sufficient wage for the work I do. I do it because I believe in it and love it. That's life, baybee.

Musicians make a heap more money than I do. I think they get more than their share of the cash pie.

~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not so sure that the term refers to an amicable argument; in my experience argy-bargies are often not only heated discussions but also rather bad-tempered ones, amounting to a spat or minor quarrel. But then, the term is mainly a British or old Commonwealth one, not that well known in the US, and easily misunderstood out of context.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chigger:
This has allowed me to 'taste' artists I'm not sure I would like. If I find that I do like them I buy their albums - so I can get the pics, liner notes, better quality sounds, etc.

In this way free music can actually assist sales.

Let's face it, radio has been playing free music for years that you can tape, and this hasn't stopped CDs from selling.

I'm also not gonna buy a 2 CD compilation just to listen to one track that I can't find anywhere else, coz it's too old/obscure.

If music companies started to allow us to choose which tracks we wanted on a 20 track disk this might change my downloading habits.

One more thing. No one pays me a sufficient wage for the work I do. I do it because I believe in it and love it. That's life, baybee.

Musicians make a heap more money than I do. I think they get more than their share of the cash pie.

Ditto.

<mons>
posted
You aint kiddin. They are gripping about people taking their royalties so they have to opt for car number 3 being a lexus instead of an escalade. I don't know. If they love their jobs so much, why are they complaining about the rather healthy sum they get. You are right, tons of people are doing jobs they love, and because they love 'em, they don't mind having to bend over every now and then when the check comes. Wink he he.

Also, i don't usually buy albums either. This downloading thing has let me sample, and then i go out and buy them as a form of thanks to the artist for making cool music, you know, if i like it and all.

i don't know why CD's scare people so much. Why weren't they this scared when video cassettes were out "we're going to scramble FM waves so magnetic media cannot properly attain it!" and how much do us old folks LOVE our mixed tapes... yeah.. you have some, i know it. same thing, cooler media.

mons

ps. maybe i shoulda said "Ditto Chigger".... :P he he

Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of music stores around here that have closed in the past year or two. One had a sign on its door that said it had gone out of business due to internet music piracy. erm...how would they possibly know that? It couldn't just be the local economy, people listening to the radio more than CDs, the new mall with its lower prices? Any one of a dozen other reasons?

---------------------------------
This is my chicken sandwich and coffee.

<mons>
posted
Maybe people would stop by and say "ARrgh matey, I was going to come into your establishment to purchase hi quality CD's, but i decided to dowload the music instead. i mean it only takes an hour to download the whole album if i can find it all. and if i can find the songs whole, and in good quality, and that aren't scrambled so they can't be burned on to CD i decided i had the time to do that! Big Grin maybe you should close."

mons

Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
heh. yyyyess. I'm sure that's exactly what happened.

Smile

---------------------------------
This is my chicken sandwich and coffee.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I prostrate myself before the knowledge contained within the mind of the 'Ultimate Scroller'. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not so sure that the term refers to an amicable argument; in my experience argy-bargies are often not only heated discussions but also rather bad-tempered ones, amounting to a spat or minor quarrel. But then, the term is mainly a British or old Commonwealth one, not that well known in the US, and easily misunderstood out of context.

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
Big Grin he he.... you said prostrate HE HE HE HE HE Razz

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Just to see if you're paying attention. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Prof. Lurker
posted Hide Post
For what I've seen, less talented is the artist, more pirated are their songs, and I think some people really deserve to earn some less money smash

I was just reading this minutes ago:
CD copy protection trumped by Shift key

Posts: 571 | Location: Brasilia | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prof. Xavier:
For what I've seen, less talented is the artist, more pirated are their songs, and I think some people really deserve to earn some less money
I hear THAT! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~