Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Australia bush fires

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Australia bush fires
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Went to bed last night to news reports that there were massive bush fires destroying Canberra, the capital of Australia.
Hoping that friends and relatives of our "Aussie Posse" here at the scrolls are safe and sound and out of harm's way.

CNN.com news story

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
yeah,I'm concerned too! [Frown] Hope everyone is okay!!

<xenacrazed>
posted
That's awful. Hope the drought down under ends soon & everyone there from here is safe.

Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
Scary... Hope they are OK and that we will hear from them soon... [Frown]

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
it looks pretty scary down there..here's hoping the winds die down

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
Not sure of Scroller's families, but no actual Aussie Scroller lives in the ACT anymore.. in yearsgone by, Stace & Lor have but both have moved on.
I do know that Salem's sister and her b/f were in Canberra the other day, i hope they got home OK.
Canberra is also where me and Argy drove to, to meet up with Stace last year.

The fires have been absolutely devastating, the death toll is up to 4 or 5 now, and the amount of homs destroyed is over the 400 mark and rising.

At 3pm in the afternoon there was so much smoke it looked like midnight.

After watching news broadcast after news broadcast, to see what ppl have lost and all that stuff, it's amazing me how many people are saying they aren't insured. To me, after living in a house that burnt down several years ago now, a house is too big of an asset not to have insurance on it, incase of random atcs of nature/ firebugs etc.

And summer ain't even over yet.. and each day seems to be getting hotter (see username)

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I was stuck in a bush fire zone in the Blue Mountains late last year, while I was there canyoning.

I had to motorcycle through a smoke zone coming back from Taree last night.

Other than that, things have been hunky dory.

Thanks for your concern. [Smile]

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 42 º C = 107.6 º F:
After watching news broadcast after news broadcast, to see what ppl have lost and all that stuff, it's amazing me how many people are saying they aren't insured. To me, after living in a house that burnt down several years ago now, a house is too big of an asset not to have insurance on it, incase of random atcs of nature/ firebugs etc.

I assumed home/fire insurance was a given, though I hear on the news about people in Chicago whose apt. buildings caught fire over Christmas where the landlords said they weren't insured. Here I think it's a law that one has to have an insurance policy in order to buy a house, apartment building or other dwelling or else for a commercial building as well. Whe there's been brush fires in California, I haven't heard about people saying they weren't insured.

Insurance costs and is a pain in the ass but it got my mother's house habitable again after their fire as well as paid rent on the house they had to stay in temporarily.

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<Stace>
posted
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Its actually devastating to watch the news at the moment. I was just saying to Ame that it just keeps going and going, they're just not slowing down and there is no reprieve for the folks down there. To watch the stories on the news, where every five seconds there is a new face showing heartbreak and grief at the sight of their destroyed homes, its just sickening.

They have been flying volunteer firefighters into Canberra from country New South Wales and Queensland for the last few days to help with the fight. We can only hope it ends soon and no more lives or homes are lost.

It just seems to be one thing after another at the moment. What a way to start the New Year.

Report This Post