Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    yeah, So how come...?

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
yeah, So how come...?
 Login/Join 
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted
The Texas Supreme Court struck down an old sodomy law. (see EvilSwine's thread in this forum.) yeah, So how come...?

*** Let me digress here for the benefit of our international audience. In the United States we have Federal laws that allow prosecution of individuals who victimize someone on the basis of race, religion, national origin, and/or sexual preference. This is defined as a "hate crime." For example if you beat up a Pakastani you can be charged with assault under local/state laws. If you beat up the Pakastani because you were angry about 9/11, the Federal government IN ADDITION to the local/state charges can charge you with a Federal hate crime for choosing a victim because of his nationality. This carries an additional penalty to the assault charges. ***

yeah, So how come if I beat up a black person because "I don't like niggers..."

or

So how come if I beat up a homosexual because I was out "fag bashing..."

or

So how come if I beat up a Jewish person because "the kikes are godless pukes..."

I would be charged with a hate crime.

So how come... if someone sexually assaults a woman "just to tear up some pussy" it's not considered a "hate crime?" The victim is chosen totally at random, for no other reason than sexual identity. SO HOW COME THIS IS NOT CONSIDERED A HATE CRIME???

choose the answer(s) you feel is most accurate, or supply your own:

1. Mostly men write the laws. Men are usually the perpetrators, not the victims of rape, so Men don't have total awareness of the issue.

2. Mostly men write the laws. Women are usually the victims. Why should men empower the other sex by passing laws against themselves?

3. It's a man's world. Not because it should be, and not because it has to be, but because Women let men have it. If they don't like the world the way it is, why do they let men have it?

4. Deep down the women probably like it. All women have a secret desire to be raped.

5. Men are pigs, self centered pigs driven by their dicks and could never control themselves anyway.

6. The bitch had it coming. I'm sure she was wearing a short skirt or flirting or hanging out somewhere she shouldn't have been.

7. Hate crimes pertain to individuals who judge by race, creed, color or national origin. Women are chosen for sexual reasons, it's not really fitting to consider "women" as a specific class of society.

8. Hate crimes are motivated/learned by environmental issues. People are taught to hate. Rape is caused by hormone/chemical imbalance in the brain. It's really a medical issue.

9. Race, religion, and national identity are prime issues of who an individual is, core aspects of culture and tradition. They are far more important than being just a "woman."

10. Who cares? If woman aren't smart enough or aware enough or courageous enough to stand up for themselves, let's move on to something important.

or supply your own answer.

This is the end of this diatribe.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I had never thought of rape in that regard. You do bring up a very good viewpoint on the issue, Brian. I agree with you. Why isn't it a hate crime? I think rape does fit into that category.

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
I like #8 except without the last statement. I don't think rape is a chemical imbalance. It is also a hate crime and men learn to degrade women--Hate crimes are motivated/learned by environmental issues. People are taught to hate. WXF Smile

But you're my source. When I reach down deep inside myself and do things I'm not capable of, it's because of you. Don't you know that by now?

Posts: 507 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... Intresting.... It really makes you think, doesn't it.... I like #3. It made me think.... It is alot of history behind this. Men, through history, has held power in all regards, from politics all the way home to the bed. Sex, why back, was supposed to be good for the men only, not for the women. They weren't supposed to do anything, if the did, they were sluts and whores. Women weren't supposed to enjoy sex. Well, what now? Now women do. I think it scares men that we do.

My two cents....

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonshade:
Women weren't supposed to enjoy sex. Well, what now? Now women do. I think it scares men that we do.

I understand your point about this. Your comment is addressing a completely different topic though.

The topic was rape. Rape is not about sex. It's a crime of violence that usually targets women. Social mores and cultural standards vary through time and places and civilizations, but this issue is not about desires.

Inevitably though we all end up talking about sex and the single girl, and how her powerful proud sexuality seems to befuddle modern males. This winding digression is how we all get lulled into inaction about this issue, I think. A savage attack somehow transforms into a more complicated issue, simply because a cock was the weapon of choice.

Meanwhile, the rape victim sits a bleeding battered mess, and not likely enthused for sociological debate.

I listed ten possible answers to the question, which could be rated from ignorance to callous stupidity. There is no good answer on the list because there is no good answer to the question.

The really really scary part is how many people in this world would embrace one of those answers as "the truth."

We all need to take care of one another. My prayer is that we'll keep trying to do that.

[This message was edited by Brian on 01 July 2003 at 03:45 PM.]

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
Before I I start to answer you, Brain, I have to say sorry about my bad english. Hope you get what I mean anyway... Smile
Here we go....

Yes, the topic is about rape, that is true. Question is, how do men and women look at rape? I think that men, not all, but many enogh, see rape as an sex-act. This is just the way I see it, so please, bare with me.
So, women then... Well, I, as a woman, see it as a loos of control over myself and my own body. I see it as voilence. And sure as hell, in my eyes it has NOTHING to do with sex!!!

But still when I look at it historicly (I like history and study it somewhat...), it still strikes me as men using rape as a why to try and gain power and control. If you think I am wrong, please tell me. This is just the way I see it.

My two cents... Again... smash

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
<Brian>
posted
Moonshade,

Your English is good. I understand you very well.

We agree on this subject. Rape is a violent act. The progress I hope for will come from persuading those who think otherwise to see that violence, and to see the need to protect the victims.

Thanks for casting your moonshadow my way, Moonshade.

Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
You are very welcome, Brian. Smile

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Your right Brian, none of the answers are correct, however some of them do grasp at the heart of the matter and hold some truth. That's what scares the hell out of me. Ignorance. Simple as that. Yes, rape can be a product of a "hormone/chemical imbalance", but it's usually associated with psychotic tendencies. It could also be argued that the act of rape could be the result of behavior "motivated/learned by environmental issues". A child grows up watching his father abuse his mother and is taught 'that's how a woman is treated'. Then there is the whole 'Men in power' theory, and honestly, I have a hard time believing that doesn't have more than a little to do with it - historically speaking.

Rape is the ultimate in power and control. It's not sexual, but it is very specific and therefore in my opinion, the embodiment of a hate crime.

From a legal perspective, it's very hard to prove and thus very hard to prosecute. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has to deal with rape cases all too often and you would be astonished by the whole process. We live in Anytown, USA and those that commit rape range from rich frat boy to the high school janitor. It crosses all boundaries of race, religion, social status, and even sex.

(Please note that I'm not speaking of rape as it pertains to children.)

Now on a similar topic - what is this bullshit they are showing on TV? Some new show out called Keen Eddy? or something of the sort shows some ass 'accidently' dropping his pen cap behind a sleeping woman so that he can cop a feel as he so innocently retrieves the cap. That's what we need. Let's tell men it's okay to grope a sleeping woman, she won't mind. W.F.? Sorry, that just pissed me off the moment I saw it

"I'm an atheist, and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for each other."
Katherine Hepburn 1907-2003

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
did you see the whole show or just the trailer scene as they showed in in commercials? cuz it really was an accident, and she woke up and cold-cocked him. it was about how his actions of good intention keep getting him busted (later she left the house with her skirt stuck in her underwear, and he tries to fix it for her and she cold-cocks him again). it's actually a fairly well-written, interestingly filmed, funny show and while the Eddie character is pretty mainstream guyish, he's not really as piggish as he tries to act, and any remotely piggish behavior on the show generally has negative consequences.

now his fantasies regarding "Miss Moneypenny" might raise an eyebrow or two, but it isn't violent or violating in any way, either. just very naughty. perhaps a case could be made that's it objectifying, but quite frankly, i've done some naughty fantasizing myself in similar situations. and i don't think i'm alone here in that regard.

i'm not defending low-brow TV in general when i say this, but i don't think suggestive TV shows (and there are much much worse shows out there than Keen Eddie...) are a similar topic as rape.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post