New
Find
Notify
Tools
Isabel
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Jut checking in to see who is expecting a visit from Hurricane Isabel this week and who's ready. Also a place for people to check in once it's all over and everyone's safely back at their keyboards so those of us who are born worriers can rest easy.
I know that Tam is in the path and Arista is under warning.
Who else?

Be safe everyone!

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
Good idea.

I thought I'd link the Weather Channel website so we could look at its progress, etc.

--edited to add a link to their overflow page.

---------------------------------
Beg to differ, little lady.

[This message was edited by Heitie on 18 September 2003 at 02:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Heitie on 18 September 2003 at 02:21 PM.]

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
i'm not directly in the path.. north carolina is (again).. that state has no luck

*sits and waits for the wind and rain*

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of bard4sharks
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty close to the path once it gets to Maryland. Lovely mountains are just going to draw the rain and wind. They are saying we are going to have at least 12 inches of rain and 40mph sustained winds

*crosses fingers the power doesn't go off, but that I don't have to go to work on friday* Most of the schools and colleges here have closed already for thursday and friday.

Posts: 30 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 15 August 2003Report This Post
<Brian>
posted
In 1985 I announced to my friends in Connecticut that I was moving to Florida.

"Oh,oh...that's hurricane country," they said.

Two weeks after I moved to Florida, a hurricane (David?) hit Connecticut. We had one blistering hurricane in 1991. The rest of the time hurricanes have hit mid-Atlantic states and the Gulf of Mexico. I've been very happy to have moved to "hurricane country," because they don't seem to come here. The section of Florida where Cape Canaveral is has NEVER had a hurricane since white folks came to Florida 500 years ago.

Be careful. Good luck. But if you're really sick of the storms, move down to "hurricane country."

Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
We're expecting Isabel Thursday night into Friday in Pa. West of here got some bad floods this week will get more rain and more flooding. The ground is so wet that there could be a few big trees down. We feel pretty safe here, tucked into a big stone building. But the trees are tall and old and in need of pruning. We may see a bit of that before it's over.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Okay, it's Thursday morning at about 7:30 am. I figured I'd give y'all a little update about what's happening here. So everyone has a perspective of where I live, if you look at a map of Maryland, I live in Southern Maryland... where the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River form that peninsula.

They're telling us to expect high winds (30 - 60 mph), heavy rain, scattered thunderstorms, low level flooding, and possible isolated tornados. The storm surge is expected to be 4 - 7 feet at high tide which is around midnight tonight.

We're just starting to see the first bits of the outer rain bands. It's just sprinkling really, but it's really dark here for 7:30 am. It's windy. The Naval base's weather station says winds are currently from the Northeast at 16 mph. So far, no biggie really.

They've got us putting trash bags over all our computers here at work incase the building leaks. You can't find a flashlight, 'D' cell battery, or bottle of water anywhere in the county. Target, 7 Eleven, and the Shopper's Food Warehouse are all boarded up. If I had a camera, I'd take pictures for you.

If things start to get really crazy (as in flying monkeys and munchkins), I'll report back. Until then, all is well and life carries on as usual.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
1:55 pm - They kicked us out of our building at work and made us all go home. We're getting sustained winds of about 25 mph and bands of heavy rain.

Other than being rather annoyed that they made me leave work AND take my own personal leave, life goes on for the most part as normal.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
i don't really want to use my personal leave time so here i sit at work
i'm off tomorrow though

Scroller
Picture of bard4sharks
posted Hide Post
The rain just started in Western Maryland (the mountains of Maryland...west of Hagerstown) around 1230 or so. Just really light mist and no wind yet. We're supposed to get the wind, heavy rains, and severe storms later tonight and early tomorrow morning.

There are even 4 Swift Water Rescue Teams on their way here from Kentucky.

Posts: 30 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 15 August 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Its due here in Buffalo NY friday morning...
but it be largely fizzled out....

maybe 1" rain expected with peak gust of 50mph...

It will prbably batter my garden & not much else....

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just spoke to Arista by phone who reported that she has not had power since last night but that she made out well considering. Her neghborhood lost trees and shingles and siding and stuff but all Isabel did to her is take a plant and bow in her front door a bit. She is currently contemplating a cold shower.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Okay just read my last post- hehe. Cold shower is due to no hot water due to electric heat. No underlying subtext meaning there.

Hope everyone else is okay

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
Okay just read my last post- hehe. Cold shower is due to no hot water due to electric heat. No underlying subtext meaning there.

suuuuure Wink

we just had a lot of howling wind here and some rain
everything is quiet now, but they gave me the day off and they can't take that back
i wonder if the movie theaters are open.. underworld starts today

Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Those winds kept me awake all night. A lot of things were blown around into other people's yards. But we've got power, so YAY!

Posts: 493 | Location: over here | Registered: 23 July 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
looks like we'll have to wait until after high tide to go out
haven't these people heard of pumps?

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Tam Don't you think a pair of waders would be more appropriate than pumps? Sheesh, have you no fashion sense at all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone, caught in your mystery
Keep it angry
Keep it wispy
I've fallen down
Drunk on your juices
Turn my head
It's aimed at you

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
i meant for the others.. i would obviously go with the stilts (they're more me)

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just thought y'all might be interested in seeing some pictures of Isabel's aftermath in various places in Southern Maryland.

http://images.somd.com/categories.php?cat_id=57

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
these were taken by a friend of my gf and i's who is a photographer for the local paper