Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    whatta you do for a living?

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whatta you do for a living?
 Login/Join 
Scroll Disciple
posted
so...what's your occupation? do you like it? suggest it to others?

~b

"I’ve got a little black cloud
That follows me.
Everywhere I go,
It takes over me."

Posts: 237 | Location: sodak | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Besides being a college student, I am the assistant manager at a local videogame store. Yup, I get paid to play videogames all day. Sweet.

Also, i am a full-time Chick Magnet.
Big Grin

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is... umm... really, really dumb and bad"

Posts: 494 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
I am an accountant. I don't like being stuck in a cubicle all day long. I do like working with numbers and figuring that kind of stuff out. I'd recommend this job if you have a lot of patience and don't mind doing tedious, repetitive work. It's not all that bad. I don't like the fact that I hardly ever interact with other people.

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I'm a computer geek. My actual title is Electronics Technician. Today I'm doing a little math - converting decimal (Base 10) references to Hex (Base 16). I also do a lot of software testing and technical documentation.

Some days I like my job, other days I hate it. It goes in cycles.

I'd recommend the job to you if you're into that geeky kind of stuff (computers, engineering, math) and are able to catch on quickly to abstract concepts.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
Picture of Cora
posted Hide Post
LOL Joey you dropped your wallet Wink
Oh heres my job.. can you guess...
"would you like Paper or Plastic with that?'

Posts: 428 | Location: Canada | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
I'm the lead estimator and planner in a large commercial printing plant. Do you love me now or what????

Our segment of the industry is shrinking overall because of the electronic age, but it's still a decent vocation. Every job is a custom job for us so I am never doing the same thing twice.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Extraordinaire
Picture of Opus1EJC
posted Hide Post
I am a musician, and teacher. I love what I do. I couldn't really chose a profession that I enjoy doing more than this.

It is a lot of hard work though. Though most people assume that what I do is easy and requires no real work it requires a person to do much more than play an instrument. In my group I am a spokesperson, agent, designer, librarian, lawyer, graphic artist, counslor, and confidont, besides my role as a musician.

But, I love it and would not change it for the world.

opus Big Grin

Posts: 90 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
I'm the Rental Property Coordinator for a non profit organization. I am in charge of collecting rent for 72 units (which includes evicting damn freeloaders on occasion {my favorite part of the job}), dealing with all tenants regarding landlord/tenants issues, I'm our tenant liason, I'm in charge of all Compliance Reports due to the State on an annual basis, I also lease and maintain all leases for all 72 properties.

I'd recommend my job if you like people and dealing with them (which I don't), if you like working with numbers and knowing guidelines and restrictions for certain programs, income limits, etc., and if you like writing letters.

I like making a difference to those who REALLY need it, makes me feel good that I can provide safe, decent, affordable housing to them when otherwise, they'd be on the street, or with an abusive partner, or in a place that's not handicap accessible. Smile

Still the World's Biggest, Bestest Gabber Fan

I offer no apologies for the things that I believe and say
And I like it that way

So would I be out of line
If I said that I missed you

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of XexyWarriorGoddess
posted Hide Post
I'm the Captain of an Elite Explorer team.(yeah right,our town is so small you couldn't poke it with a needle)*ahem* but I kick ass on the streets and get all the bad guys when I have to. Big Grin

=============================
Now if only I hadn't lost that key to the World's Mass Destruction Kit.....

Posts: 243 | Location: Oblivion,Center of the Earth | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
At the moment I'm a student, which is cool except around essay time.

Before that I used to be a youth worker.

There are so many different jobs you can do as a youth worker. You have to be able to manage projects and budgets and interact with young people. You also need to be able to communicate with all levels of government. Creativity goes a long way as does an ability to organise and work co-operatively.

The pay can be shite but it can be fun to watch young people develop skills and learn to value themselves.

You can also do some interesting things like work really late at night on needle exchange programs, organise dance parties, go on camps and holiday activities like abseiling and rock climbing, do radio interviews, write newspaper articles and deliver training.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
<Breen>
posted
I'm unemployed.

The main part of my job is to watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch on TV. But that makes it seem simple. It's more demanding than that - I have to also make sure I have not missed any episodes of Stargate SG-1, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and many other shows. This can be time-consuming. Do you know how many episodes of TNG there are? I have to watch many repeats of this and other similar shows, to make sure I have not missed any.

Of course there are highs and lows. A typical high-point would be watching a Seven of Nine episode of Voyager. A typical low point would be watching a non-Seven of Nine episode of Voyager.

Then in the evenings, while I set the VCR to record some shows, I take a break from TV and play Runescape. That's probably the hardest part of my duties - I really have to work hard in Runescape to get my various skill attributes up to a decent level. It's not easy, I tell you.

I guess that about sums up my job. But the pay isn't very good!

BTW have you noticed above, that the people who say their pay is not so good, say they enjoy their job. Is it a fact that the more you get paid for a job, the more likely it'll be a horrible one?

Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of MaxQ
posted Hide Post
I read. I write. I read what I write then write what I read. When other people read what I write, I write more than I read. If enough people read what I write and buy what I write then I don't have to read what I write and just watch footall.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but, a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

Posts: 28 | Location: Avon, NY USA | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
My jobs consist of a lot of reading, lol.

One of my jobs is as a bookstore clerk. I usually just watch over the storeon wednesday nights 4-9. I'm the only one who works. Except for XMas time and HP releases, the job is pretty slow. I get to read lots of books for free. I do enjoy ordering books for people, especially when I have to do lots of hunting to find hard to find ones.

My other job is WAY boring. I'm also a gift shop clerk, practically everyday I don't work at the bookstore. It's so boring. The people who do come in to buy stuff, don't buy much. I usually sit there eating M&M's and reading magazines and books from the bookstore.

I wouldn't recommend the gift shop. But the bookstore is fun.
I'll be moving to college soon, so I'm hoping to get a fun job there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The hottest thing this side of Epworth, Iowa.

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
I work for what is the equivalent of the Environmental Protection Agency at the state level. I’ve worked in air quality for almost 9 years, and I maintain relational databases that store emissions data. I could be asked to do anything from preparing data for the legislature or press releases to speaking at a conference in front of 2000 people. Right now I’m developing a web based interface allowing external customers to query our database. My hope is to eliminate the pull on our staff for customer support.

Do I like my job? I did at one time, not so much anymore.

Blue on black, tears on a river
Push on a shove, it don't mean much
Joker on jack, match on a fire
Cold on ice, as a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream, doesn't mean a thing
Won't bring you back
Blue on black

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Prof. Lurker
posted Hide Post
I'm an architect and work for the Ministry of Education. I mostly do office planning / lay out and furniture design. I also do home planning for my personal clients. Sometimes it's repetitive. I enjoy it when I can create something.

Posts: 571 | Location: Brasilia | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I shape young minds. Scary,huh?
Razz

Actually I run a program that does something similar to what Argy described above.
I like the part of my job related to the kids and even the admin and grant writing stuff. Not so much liking being the boss when the employees are being naughty, though (like lately). Disciplinary actions and terminations are not fun.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i own and operate an Italian deli--we make fresh pasta, sauces, entrees, salads, etc. we also sell Italian wines and groceries as well as selling fresh pasta wholesale to restaurants. we also do some (quite alot at holiday season, actually) catering, which isn't restricted to Italian fare--i can cook just about anything...

like it? most days it doesn't suck. if i can manage to keep staff in place and happy, which, knock wood, appears to be happening and should remain so for a while. the best part about it is the fact that my hours are fairly flexible when i want/need them to be.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

free your mind, and your ass will follow...

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
medical transcription.. this time in a cardiology practice
letters, consults, office notes, exercise stress tests, nuclear stress tests, etc.

yep all that excitement pays the bills Wink

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of MaxQ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tamorama:
medical transcription

Hi Tam! Funny, I always thought you were a shrimp fisherperson.

Max

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but, a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

Posts: 28 | Location: Avon, NY USA | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Argh matie!
Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blue on black, tears on a river
Push on a shove, it don't mean much
Joker on jack, match on a fire
Cold on ice, a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream, doesn't mean a thing
Won't bring you back
Blue on black

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post