Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Pictures of fire in Canberra

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pictures of fire in Canberra
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
DAngel just got sent these on the 'net.

I thought I'd share them as they are quite spectacular. That is smoke, not clouds.

You might be amazed by these, Stace.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
 -

-

-

-

-

Scroll Nightmare
Picture of Cora
posted Hide Post
OMG thats awful! although it does make interesting picutes. thank you for letting us see

Posts: 428 | Location: Canada | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of Rellik
posted Hide Post
not good at all..

neat pics though

Posts: 410 | Location: canada | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
That's F***ing gut wrenching, I still don't believe the size of the loss (well i do, but you know what i mean), that's like 4 times the size of my suburb i live in.. which is unthink able.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
The first two pics in your second post look really really creepy.

I have photo's somewhere of smoke clouds in the sky over my house the last time the fires got really bad around here.. I should find em and scan 'em so I can show them here.

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Yeah, post 'em, Salem.

When I was riding back the last time I went to Ame's house there was a fire by the side of the freeway. Not sure if they were burning off or what, by that thing was DAMN hot.

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Prof. Lurker
posted Hide Post
They're impressive. yeah, fire has an awful beauty. I wonder what would happen to Amazon forest if that wasn't a wet place. [Eek!]

[ January 24, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Prof. Xavier ]

Posts: 571 | Location: Brasilia | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics, but scary, too.

Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] Impressive,beautiful,scary and horrible at the same time!!!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness. That's just devastating.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Just the other day they were saying that there were sixty different fire fronts being fought in Canberra, at the moment.

<CatDaddyChris>
posted
Is this a forest fire or what?

cat

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Just a suburban fire, cat.

Canberra is a large suburb (it's our capital) although it is surrounded by many trees.

It's been very dry in Australia this Summer.

<CatDaddyChris>
posted
right on.

The weather here has been a bit weird too. The jet stream i currently over miami, florida. Normally at this time of year its over ohio and tennesse.

So basically, its been really cold with little or no snow.

cat

PS How do you get your avatar to appear under your name. Does the pic have to be a certian size or something. It shows up as my personal picture if you clicked on my name. Im sure you have this posted somewhere but i havent found it.

[ January 26, 2003, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: CatDaddyChris ]

Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
That is the thing with fire... Scary and butiful at the same time. Those pictures are like that to, awful and butiful at the same time...

PS. CatDaddyChris - I really love your pic with Lucy and the fire. It is awesome!!!

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I saw your Avatar elsewhere, cat. Looks like you worked it out.

It probably wasn't showing up earlier because you have to get to "Scroller" status (31 posts) before you can use it.

<xenacrazed>
posted
Some of those pics almost look like a volcano
eruption. That's unreal. Wish i could send ya'll
the rain i'm getting tonight...

Report This Post
<Stace>
posted
I can't believe its still going...
Thanks for posting these pics Argy. I had to stop watching the news its so relentless I needed a break. I know, sounds selfish considering there are people living it and I can't even watch the news.

I've been chatting with some of my friends in Canberra and amazingly none of them have been personally affected, although know people who have. Still, everyone is being affected by the stifling smoke and I can imagine the whole city is subdued by the devastation of their neighbours and friends.

People I know from up here have been volunteer firefighting down there still.

Meanwhile fires have broken out in Victoria (a neighbouring state) and the drought is horrendous. Queensland is not too restricted but in my home town they are on Level Five restriction which means they can't use hoses etc outside and can only water plants etc with grey water (second hand water)> . Droughts aren't exactly uncommon for Australia but one lasting this long is a first for me.

Report This Post
<Lisa>
posted
That's terrible. Like Salem said, the first 2 in your 2nd post are really creepy. It's so scary how it's all red. It's devastating. Neat pictures, but very scary.

Report This Post