Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Secret  Hop To Forums  Running Backwards    Team Fortress 2 Weapons Guide Archive

Moderators: Argeaux, Kylie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Team Fortress 2 Weapons Guide Archive
 Login/Join

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
These are the Team Fortress 2 weapons I think are best for each class.
A lot of the stock weapons are still the best.

SCOUT
Scattergun and Pistol. The Force A Nature if you want to learn how to triple jump, but a lot of people hate it. Bonk Atomic Punch or Mad Milk.
Holy Makerel for the humiliating fish kill icon.

SOLDIER
Standard Rocket Launcher. If you get an Original you can use that instead, but it's just the RL reskinned. Equalizer. Shotgun or Gunboats.
Cow Mangler is piss funny, but not that effective. Black Box if you find you are dying too easily at first.
Normal rocket launcher is the best because it has four rockets as opposed to three and they all do heaps of damage.

PYRO
Degreaser, Shotgun/Reserve Shooter or Flare Gun, Fire Axe. Backscratcher once you get better wtih this one.
Degreaser wins over standard Flame Thrower every time.
Some people swear by the Phlogistinator at the moment.

A lot of people perfer the Backburner over the Degreaser when they start out. However, there are so many more things you can do with the Degreaser. The Backburner uses WAY more ammo for its air blast.
A good Pyro needs air blast. To deflect rockets, extinguish team mates, juggle enemies, blow enemies off cliffs. These are all helpful to the Pyro and the team. Learn the airblast. It will save your life.
If you have a helpful friend (hint: Argy) you can practise rocket blasting.

DEMO
Grenade Launcher (Loch-n-Load if you are excellent at direct hits), Sticky Bomb Launcher, Ullapool Caber or Eyelander.
If you MUST go Demoknight - Eyelander + Splendid Screen + Ali Baba's Wee Booties

HEAVY
Tomislav, Sandvich or Shotgun (Sandvich is more useful), really any gloves you like. I use Killing Gloves of Boxing. Holiday Punch is hilarious. A lot of people use Gloves of Running Urgently to get out of trouble or get to the fight faster.

ENGINEER
Jag. No substitute. It builds sentries faster. Shotgun and Pistol. If you are going "Battle Engie", Frontier Justice + Gunslinger. Wrangler is also very good. Engie stuff depends on your style.

MEDIC
Medigun, Syringe Gun, Ubersaw or Amputator.
I acutally go against the grain here and use the Bonesaw, because of the faster swing time.
You really have to know what you're doing with the Kritzkrieg, and not many people on your team will. You could use it with a group you play with a lot.
People rely on the Uber from the Medigun to break through blockages such as Engie nests and bottle necks. It works best if the Medic has a mic and tells you they are about to Uber you.

SNIPER
Sniper Rifle for long range, Huntsman for short range. Submachine Gun or Jarate. Bushwacka.

SPY
Ambassador or Enforcer, Knife or Big Earner.
Invisibility Watch or Dead Ringer. Cloak n Dagger tends to make you less useful because you camp rather than running around, taking out important targets.
Spycicle for laughs.

faustyle posted on June 20, 2012 @ 8:29am
Agree on a lot of the info here. One thing I don't agree with is the Engy wrench. I believe the jag is overrated as it doesnt help you very much once you get your Sentry up. I think its situational for if the enemy is pushing or something and even a fraction of a second counts, but overall I think if Gunslinger isn't your playstyle, regular wrench is the best. Possibly Southern hospitality to locate DR spies.

For my main class, spy, I agree with Argy except maybe not Big Earner. Idunno, I don't use it. I use vanilla knife. But in regards to DR spy, it is not the most important to "fool" your enemy to thinking you're dead. Experienced players will know if you are using DR anytime. It's not flickering when you get hurt or bump into someone which makes it stand out. It's the best for getting into the best positions. I switch between DR and IW depending on the situation though but I think a good spy that knows how to use DR > the same skill-level spy that uses IW.

<=RB= Argy posted on June 20, 2012 @ 12:30am
If you right click when you have the sandvich in your hand it will fall on the ground. On a little plate. Then it will give health to another character if they walk over it.

I think Laz meant to say that you can't walk over your own sandvich as Heavy, any more. That used to be a way of getting rid of the time it takes to eat it.

Skater901 posted on June 19, 2012 @ 11:50pm
Erm, I munch on my Sandvich as Heavy all the time, and I have no idea how to feed it to someone else...

<=RB= ♥iStefax♥ posted on June 18, 2012 @ 2:38am
I agree with laz scout stuff, boston basher (or three rune blade, the reskin) is just so awesome, cause you can build uber and you can do some boston basher jumps.
I also think the default meele for the demoman is probably your best choice (or the pan).

I think a sniper should always use a jarate cause this item is just soo much better then everything else, and never use a machina cause in general you try getting quick headshots and headshots do without charge 150 damage (normal sniper rifle) so you can kill every class except heavy, soldier, demoman, pyro.

With a full charged headshot you can take out an overhealed heavy and not a single class has more health then that so the bonus damage which the machina gives you is totaly useless (and it looks pretty dumb).

Spy: WHY WHY the big earner?
This is probably the most useless knife in the game.
You can really use every knife, but not the big earner...

ººº Laz posted on June 18, 2012 @ 1:05am
Argy raises a lot of good points.

I have a few points of my own though:

SCOUT: No substitute for the Scattergun. If you need a third jump, Atomizer or Boston Basher are your choices. Boston Basher should be the default in any real setting because it allows you to build uber with a medic (Notes on this in the medic section below).

SOLDIER: Rocket Launcher or Original. Basically the only real difference is rocket-jumps of walls to your right. I prefer the feel of jumping with the Original, but it is a very minor thing. I am coming to like gunboats, but shotgun is amazing. Equalizer should always be stuck to your melee slot like glue. The speed at low health is amazing.

PYRO: Degreaser. Accept no substitutes. I now use the detonator almost exclusively. The ability to hit shots around corners, hit multiple people and gain access to all the areas that Scouts can double jump to is invaluable (Flare jumping. Try it.) Axtinguisher is your melee, unless you feel like being an engineer's best friend and using the Homewrecker.

DEMO: Don't use the Loch-n-Load. Roller spam is too strong. I like default melee, but eh.

HEAVY: Remember you can no longer eat your own sandwich. Feed it to your hungry medics. GRU are the must use gloves. Mobility is a massive thing, and it costs you almost nothing.

ENGINEER: I play exclusive Gunslinger engineer. I just find defensive engineer too mind numbing. Your loadout here is Shotgun/Widowmaker, Pistol and Gunslinger. You have to support your sentry with your shotgun. The Gunslinger is really good, but arguments can be made for the shotgun. Don't use Wrangler. Wrangled mini-sentries are still terrible. I have no idea how defensive engineers play. Probably Shotgun (for shooting stickies), Wrangler (it is too damn powerful) and the Jag.

MEDIC: I play comp medic, so this might be a long one.
Two options. Crossbow/Amputator or Needlegun/Ubersaw. Take the first if you trust your team to be able to keep your relatively safe. It will speed up your regen and keep you healthy through all the random spam you taking doing such a difficult job. Take the latter if you are likely to be chased by scouts or like to throw extra damage into close fight or be a huge hero with clutch uber-saw play.

Medigun should always be your default choice. Kritzkrieg has its places, but use it too often and it becomes predictable and far less powerful. Medigun keeps you safe if you have to use it. Kritz gets you killed just the same if you are forced to use it. Against a good team, you should never survive popping kritz unless it is completely inneffective or completely unexpected. Kritz is something you pull out as a shock tactic or to create an advantage (since it charges faster than uber).

I feel Quick-fix is a nice idea. The problem is that people use it. There is no situation in which Quick-fix is better than Kritz, and very few situations in which Kritz is better than Uber. If you want to heal lots of people quickly while having no ability to survive, taunt with the Amputator. Seriously. It is better than the quickfix.

Also, I feel I have to post a few notes about playing medic, because I see far too many bad ones in pub games. First and foremost, know the mechanics of the class. Uber charges slowly when people are at above 140% health. So take your players up to full overheal (150% of max health, see the handy chart below) then heal someone else. Get players to hurt themselves if there is no-one without full buff. This is called building or grinding.

ººº Laz posted on June 18, 2012 @ 1:04am
Here is a chart of overheal values.
Spy/Scout/Sniper - 185 (Sandman - 165)
Solder - 300
Pyro/Medic - 225
Demoman - 260 (Eyelander - 225)
Heavy - 450 (Stupid bear claws - 405)

Ok, next up. Heal targets. In pub games, too many medics just follow a heavy around. Don't do this. 450 health is a lot. Way more than anything else in the game (Level 3 Sentries have a lot less than this). If the heavy can't get stuff done with 450, they are just bad. Top them up when you get a chance, but they are not your priority. If there is not much happening, focus your heals on Soldiers and Demomen. They need the health for mobility, so just give them full buff and let them jump away. In a firefight, try to heal players who are less than 100 health. Get them to >100, then switch around. Obviously, if they are going to die anyway, don't worry too much. You are just wasting your precious heal time.
Speaking of heal time. You heal at 24hp/second. This increases if players haven't taken damage in a while.

ººº Laz posted on June 18, 2012 @ 1:03am
SNIPER: Arjee has it right. There aren't really any hard decisions here. I like jarate, it is an awesome debuff. Machina is straight up more powerful than the sniper rifle, but I don't think it feels right. Up to you though.

SPY: I honestly have no idea how to play this class.

ººº Laz posted on June 18, 2012 @ 12:40am
PYRO: Degreaser. Accept no substitutes. I now use the detonator almost exclusively. The ability to hit shots around corners, hit multiple people and gain access to all the areas that Scouts can double jump to is invaluable (Flare jumping. Try it.) Axtinguisher is your melee, unless you feel like being an engineer's best friend and using the Homewrecker.

DEMO: Don't use the Loch-n-Load. Roller spam is too strong. I like default melee, but eh.

HEAVY: Remember you can no longer eat your own sandwich. Feed it to your hungry medics. GRU are the must use gloves. Mobility is a massive thing, and it costs you almost nothing.

<=SB= Hinisstin posted on June 18, 2012 @ 12:33am
COPY & PASTE :O

<=RB= Argy posted on June 18, 2012 @ 12:28am
Feel free to add your two cents worth.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post