Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Warrior Women Archive    Angel 5.10 (Jan. 21, 2004) - SPOILERS!

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Angel 5.10 (Jan. 21, 2004) - SPOILERS!
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
So I fell asleep before the show aired. I did record it thought and plan to watch it tonight. In the meantime, here's an article on the episode, which happened to be directed by David Boreanez.

From SciFi Wire

quote:
Angel Star Directs Self

David Boreanaz, star of The WB's Angel, told SCI FI Wire that he came prepared for his debut as a director in the upcoming episode "Soul Purpose," which airs Jan. 21. "I came in with some really strong ideas and some strong visuals that I wanted to do, and I had a big ... meeting with [executive producer] Jeff Bell," Boreanaz said in an interview at The WB's winter press preview. "A lot of the ideas I wanted to do kind of got, not squashed, but just toned down a bit, because I had to remind myself that I am shooting an Angel show and not this crazy, cinematic, swooping thing," he said with a laugh.

In "Soul Purpose," Boreanaz does double duty as helmer and star in an episode that brings back the character of Lindsey (Christian Kane) and puts Angel in a fever-dream state. Balancing both roles was a challenge, he admitted. "It's pretty crazy, yeah," he said. "You do your work, and there were moments when I was acting in it, and I had the [assistant director] call 'action,' or I would look at a little television monitor while I was setting the shot and rehearsing. So your mind's really all over the place. But I enjoy working like that. The more that's going on, the better for me creatively."

Boreanaz's castmates praised his sure hand and confidence, unusual in a first-time director. Boreanaz was more self-effacing. "All I want to do is fulfill the story, tell the story, and as a director you want to creatively shoot it so that you keep the audience involved rather than removing them, because it can be very easy to do that," he said. "So that was challenging to do that. And I had a good time. I kept within the parameters, and I pushed some buttons, and I shot a lot of low angles. I like low angles." Angel airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
ok, i'll go out on a limb and say it bored me

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
It was an interesting concept with a lot of symbolism, but it kinda bored me too. To be honest, I don't watch "Angel" to think. I watch it to be entertained. I don't like having to think about all the symbolism and stuff.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
I guess it wasn't just me then. I found my mind wandering like crazy!

Posts: 493 | Location: over here | Registered: 23 July 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
uh..i liked it?

i can see the boring, but i was really tired at the time, so maybe i was actually bored and happy to be so. i liked all the craziness of the dreams. and i'll be very predictable and say i apreciated the dream about spike and buffy Razz...well not so much buffy. what was up with that anyway? you'd think they could come up with a better way of obscuring her face than a lot of hair. pehraps it's easier said than done.

it wasn't one of the best eps i've ever seen, and it did seem really confused and disjointed, but i get the feeling that they may have been slightly intentional - they didn't exactly pull it off though. harmony was gorgeous as always Smile. i think i like lindsy acting like doyle. i don't yet see the significane of it, seeing that spike doesn't know about either one of them, but perhaps it will add to the messing with angel at a later date. unless lindsy really is doyle somehow o_O

nah, that's not too likely...*curious*

--------------------------------------