Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Warrior Women Archive    Farscape - Stark's Mind

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Farscape - Stark's Mind
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
SPOILERS for John Quioxte!!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I got to thinking more about this episode and I realised that, if the game is based on the ideas in Stark's head, then he has a VERY interesting view of the world.

First of all - he sees Aeryn as some sort of Southern American femme fatale.

Next, he sees that all D'Argo is interested in is devouring women, and that Chiana and Zool WANT to be 'eaten' by him.

Finally, John Crighton appears to Stark as some sort of Max Headroom figure who just spits out sarcastic remarks. Actually, Stark may be right on track with that impression.

Anyhow - it certainly explains why Stark has always had a bit of a weird thing happening with Aeryn, if that is the way he sees her.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead. Wink

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
"First of all - he sees Aeryn as some sort of Southern American femme fatale."

I don't believe that Stark does even know what a Southern Belle is. But I believe that he/the game tapped into Crichton's mind to match the player's imagination.
So, what worries me more, is: What does Aeryn as a Southern Belle represent to Crichton?
My guess: The classic temptress from his cultural background. But Crichton's a cynic with a heart. A rare combination which can't be found in the game's setup profiles. Only that enabled him to overcome the odds.

"Next, he sees that all D'Argo is interested in is devouring women, and that Chiana and Zool WANT to be 'eaten' by him."

Again, if we shift the perspective onto Crichton, things begin to make sense.
The game 'thinks': "Make the player uneasy and hit him at the weakest point: Jealousy.
This has NOTHING to do with the REAL Jool & Chiana's wishes - neither D'Argo's.
(there, a leap of faith is required, since Chiana is a player as well and should've influenced the game's 'motivations' and iconography, too, but I simply don't see any, apart from Crichton's)

"Finally, John Crighton appears to Stark as some sort of Max Headroom figure who just spits out sarcastic remarks. Actually, Stark may be right on track with that impression."

He is..., and he isn't.
There's one thing Stark/the game will NEVER understand about Crichton. He needs sarcasm as a kind of distance-holder until sense sets in. That's why he/it couldn't anticipate Crichton's steps all the way. It doesn't make sense as long as one doesn't apply a very human ability/flaw: Separation of logic and sense.

I love this episode, but I'm also aware that it only works if The Game ONLY fed on Crichton's imagination and NOT Chiana's.

A small price to pay.

partially blinded
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post