Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Warrior Women Archive    The 'Scape and The Dwarf

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The 'Scape and The Dwarf
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
I've noticed some similarities between these two series.

Dwarf is more of a comedy, and 'Scape more a drama, but they both have dramatic and comedic moments.

They both feature one human interacting with a group of non-humans, trying to negotiate his way through the universe to get back home to Earth.

They also examine the human condition through the different situations each member of the space ship goes through.

Anyone else notice these things?

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
I sure did! [Smile]
Occasionally the similarities go even further, especially in Farscape's more outrageous comedies like 'John Quixote', 'Scratch 'N Sniff', 'Crackers Don't Matter', 'Won't Get Fooled Again'...etc. I call 'em LSD Eps. At least the writers must've been on something when they wrote 'em. [Wink]

Rygel: "She couldn't've done it. She was with me all the time. You know... Hynerian love-making tends to exhaust the..."
John: "Woo-woo, now there's a mental polaroid I can gladly do without."

[Big Grin]
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
<Stace>
posted
Kryten & Crichton..

That's the best I can do until I see more episodes [Wink]

Report This Post
<Breen from London>
posted
I've not noticed that, but I've noticed similarities between Farscape and Andromeda.

Go to
http://www.breen.connectfree.co.uk/cultsim.html

Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, B. [Smile]

When I saw the first Andromeda eps, I already was an obsessive Scaper, so, said similarities seemed a bit too 'in your face, suckers' to me.
Especially where the show took a definite holiday from the Roddenberry style it was obvious where they had looked for a bit of jazzing up the surface.
With time, though, they must've realized that they were aiming too high. The special Farscape tone can't be re-created on the drawing board - let alone in a mix with the totally opposite Roddenberry style. Bit like Cliff Richard trying to do a Zappa song.
Andromeda's 'message' is much more conservative and p.c. than the positively anarchic SF punk from the unchartered territories. [Big Grin]
Now, the Andromeda stays on familiar ground with a bit of Star Wars and HTLJ thrown in.
It's no use copying trademarks if the spirit isn't in it.
Oodles of X:WP clones had to find that out the hard way.

[Smile]
The Xenatizer

[ February 03, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: The Xenatizer ]

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
for Argy and Stace, Red Dwarf s2 comes out on the 2nd of April on dvd.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post