Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Silly things that annoy you
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Silly things that annoy you
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
I don't know why, but any time someone says "Nummy, nummy" about food I just want to poke their eyes out.

Or, if someone calls out "Knock, knock" when they are at the front door, through the screen I want to stamp on them, like an ant.

Anything that annoys you, for no good reason?

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I have so many of those. A big one is "Wanna come with?"

I hate that.

Also, and this is not exhaustive, whiney baby talk from an adult, saying "grand" instead of thousand, and the word "slice" in any usage.

ugh...flames...on the side of my face...

[ March 02, 2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Fahrenheit ]

<Chiana>
posted
When instead of, "I couldn't care less," people say, "I could care less." [Mad] But we've got relatives flocking here so I should be adding to the list regularly. [Wink]

Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
Chiana! YES! Good one.

Seriously, people...listen to what you're saying.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
And I REALLY hate it when people type "your" instead of "you're".

YOU'RE going to do that.
YOU'RE dead.
YOU'RE going to regret that.

YOU ARE.

I thank you.

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
So far everything everyone has said has been the ways people say things.

But this is still something that annoys me BIG time.

Hearing people gulp (like coffee, when they gulp it fast because it's hot), and the same with slurping (again I find it mainly with hot drinks).

It makes my bloody run cold and i have been known to slap people who know I hate this this if they do it near me.. [Smile]

How people write/type ECT.. but the abbreviation is actually ETC. (etcetera)

When someone at another board calls me stupid because I said The Wiggles are Australian, when they are obviously english if you listen to their accents... (hehe, freaking dork)

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of people slurping drinks, I hate hearing people eat food. I hate hearing them crunching it up in their mouth or, say, eating pizza and sorta inhaling, slurping trying to get the topping into their mouths and not have it fall off and slop all over them! Also people eating with their mouth open really bothers me. Aside from being able to hear it more, you can also see it.

Bah!

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
People, I highly recommend that you NEVER talk to me in real life. Apparently, I will annoy the hell out of all of you.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Arista, hun, we love ya no matter what [Wink]

SMACKING! I've been told this is a cultural thing but...... when in Rome people.
It's rude, it’s vulgar, it's disgusting! Close your bloddy mouth while you chew!

Close the damned door behind you. In Texas there are 3 seasons. Cold, hot and bug infested. All three of these seasons require you to shut the damn door! Some idiot will walk into a restaurant, let a fricking arctic wind catch the door and never offer to pull it closed.

Leaving you turn signal (indicator) on. How do you not notice the little light on the dash just flashing away?

Parking outside of the lines. It ain't that damn hard here folks. The other day some ass parked so close to me that I had to get in on the passenger side. There was nothing but a curb next to him - no reason for it. So I folded both his mirrors over [Big Grin]

I feel much better now.

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Yes! Yes ! Precious ... I be would very ANNOYING too(Surprised huh?)

I gulp,I slurp,I eat like a hungry large dog too long from his food bowl.. ..YAy me!

BUT... what annoys me is :
women who bitch about pointless trivial things...

YOUR all wrong!
[Razz]

*Brucy runs off 4 his LIFE!*

" Hay Wanna come with...?"

"OK dont..
I could care less..." [Wink]

By the way ... dont people who use an ENDLESS array of Meaningless dots as an Excuse for punctuation..
just annoy you 2 all Get out..?? [Big Grin]

Luv ya,
Brucy

[ March 03, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Brucy Braless ]

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
Let's not take this too seriously, please. I'm sure we're all adult enough to look past these little annoyances in real life. Note that we do call them "silly".

[ March 03, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Fahrenheit ]

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fahrenheit:
Let's not take this too seriously, please. I'm sure we're all adult enough to look past these little annoyances in real life. Note that we do call the "silly".

I'm not taking it too seriously, so no worries. Besides, in real life you'd have no choice but to deal with it - because I'm the boss. So there! [Razz] Did anyone used to say that when they were kids? That used to annoy the snot out of me when I was little.

As an adult I find that the habit of bouncing your leg annoys me. Not so much annoys me, as makes me nervous. Really, really nervous.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Hehe..... (extra long line of dots to annoy Brucy [Big Grin] ) .... I love being petty, sometimes.

Soo... *rubbing hands* ... where to start?

Oh, yes, the 'OF' menace.
Whenever people write something like 'would of' instead of 'would have', my nostrils begin to steam. That's not economy, just bad style.

Then there's people taking calls on their cellphones in the cinema.

Also those who try to open their bag of wine gums VERY quietly, and therefore doing half an hour's infuriatingly furtive rustling instead of one loud decisive rip.

Motorbike cops checking shades and gun belt in the mirror before swaggering up to your car.

Pairs in matching anoracs

People who say things like: "Look, I've got nothing against '****', but...
(fill in what ever you like)

petty [Razz]
The Xenatizer

[ March 03, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: The Xenatizer ]

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Look, I've got nothing against Ulrich, but he has this horrible habit of never being on ICQ. And he's so damned petty. [Big Grin]

I absolutely agree with smacking. My brother does that and I want to smack him, you know? He knows better.

I hate when people use an apostrophe to indicate the plural. Apostrophe "S" is possessive, not plural!

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arista:
quote:
Originally posted by Fahrenheit:
Let's not take this too seriously, please. I'm sure we're all adult enough to look past these little annoyances in real life. Note that we do call the "silly".

I'm not taking it too seriously, so no worries. Besides, in real life you'd have no choice but to deal with it - because I'm the boss. So there! [Razz] Did anyone used to say that when they were kids? That used to annoy the snot out of me when I was little.

Good...let's everybody play [Big Grin]

It really annoys me when I misspell something and then it's quoted [Wink] I should of checked it, ect... (*shudder* I feel dirty)

Also, 'acrost' as in "we walked acrost the river." When I was little I thought it had something to do with Jesus.

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
yeah, so i do a lot of those. [Big Grin] he he. especially this one -> "..." i don't know why... but in typing "...." it's almost like breathing for me... like i don't want to say its a STOP in my writing.... more like the first "." means 'maybe i should stop' and the second "." means 'breath' and the third one means 'think' and if there is another "." it means 'confusion'... any more "." following the forth is a fight between the 1st period and the last over which is the most overt and final sentiment for the preceeding statement.........

people who stop me from bouncing my leg when its my only way to release some of my pent up tensions!

coming to the scrolls and seeing no new posts. [Razz]

mons.... [Big Grin]
fighting for the over punctuated everywhere....

[ March 03, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: mons ]

Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
When ppl make up words that sound like they exist, but don't really, like "pronounciated". ¬_¬

When someone starts to tell a story and goes into great deal about some small thing that really doesn't have much to do with the story or when they start to tell you something, then get distracted and you have to wait over a minute for them to continue. My dad does that all the time. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 218 | Location: OR....or what? | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaNaNa:
"pronounciated"

*snort* I am laughing my fool head off. I've heard that soooo often.

Also "expecially".

--edited because I just Googled "pronounciated". It's much more rampant than I'd thought. [Eek!]

[ March 04, 2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Fahrenheit ]

Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
I know it's stupid but I cant stand it if pple eat spaghetti with the help of a spoon! It's just sooo stupid! Spaghetti are eaten with a fork only! That's a typical,italian way of eating!

Also,I think it is so annoying when pple eat pizza with a fork and a knife. Pizza is eaten with hands only!

[Razz]

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Xenatizer:
Oh, yes, the 'OF' menace.
Whenever people write something like 'would of' instead of 'would have', my nostrils begin to steam. That's not economy, just bad style.

... and the shortened form, for the economy minded, is "would've" short for "would have".

Oh yeah, and another made up word is "orientated". You can go on orientation or you can be oriented, but you CANNOT be orientated.

Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Which reminds me of a whole sub-section of pet hates.
Snag is, they all seem to be unjustified and totally ok for the ears of English speaking people, but they keep bringing me out in a rash all the same. So, I normally suffer in silence.
But in this climate of ruthless honesty... [Big Grin] ... I dare an outing.

Words which really, really test my otherwise unconditional love for the English language:

Third place goes to... *opening envelope with outstreched arms and turned-away face* ... 'quality time'.

A well deserved second place goes to... 'parenting'.

... and the winner is... urgh... 'Wellness'.

tormented [Eek!]
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I think it annoys a lot of people when I say "I'm fixin' to... ". They always ask me why I'm fixing it.

Lately, my job has really annoyed me.

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
"fixin' to"!?!?! Arista hon, you sound like a Texan!! i thought only we said that.

personally, i am aggressively annoyed and irrationally iritated by people who make extensive compilations of nit-picky annoyances.

that, and people who use alot of big words...
[Razz]

[ March 04, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Mr. McFeeley ]

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. McFeeley:
that, and people who use alot of big words...
[Razz]

People who make a lot one word. LOL come on now 'Zoom, you know I had to do it. [Wink]

When I was young I used to think that broctued was a word. As in when an announcer on TV said, 'brought to you by'.

And I thought would've was a word?

Another thing that annoys me is when people bring me my mail from my box at work. I know it's there, I see it every time I walk by and I will get it myself when my pile is properly prepared.

[ March 04, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Clank ]

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. McFeeley:
"fixin' to"!?!?! Arista hon, you sound like a Texan!! i thought only we said that.

[...]

I lived in Oklahoma for almost 5 years. They say it A LOT there. Here in the boonies, we say it, but it's not as commonly used as it is in OK and TX.