Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Poteidaia Tavern Archive    Silly things that annoy you
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Silly things that annoy you
 Login/Join 
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I knew some very nice people who constantly used abbreviations that aren't real abbreviations. Just made them up as they went along. Like "mic" for microwave. It's already in use for microphone, so it kind of confuses the issue. You can't just use the first syllable of any word....

lol...orientated.

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
People who tell me how to do my parenting ( when i don't ask for ideas and help etc) Just because their kids did it, and was PERFECT [Smile]

The spelling of the word mum as mom ( i know, it's how you guys spell it) also mam, as dad always spells it when he writes xmas cards.

When you tell people online you're from Australia, and they go *WOW, you're so far away*, when in actual fact I am close to myself they are far away.. (and then confuse them well I tell them this)

People who won't discipline their own child but discipline mine or ask me to (like they haven't seen the whole thing and expect their child to be in the right.. oohh Jess is throwing sand.. Yeah well your kid smacked her over the head with a bucket what do you expect..lol)

People who have HUGE sig pics.. [Blush]

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clank:
People who make a lot one word. LOL come on now 'Zoom, you know I had to do it. [Wink]

so what's that make it? 2 to 543, right? [Big Grin]

Ame:
mom is who cooked your oatmeal for breakfast. mum is a flower... [Wink]

i am annoyed by socks that bunch up at the toe inside my shoe. also by the fact that while i buy socks 6 or 8 pairs at a time every month or so, i never seem to be able to put a matching pair together at any given time. also when my dog and/or dryer eats said socks. or when my much larger-footed spouse wears my socks, forever stretching them into too-big, previously-mentioned, annoying toe-bunching socks.

i have sock issues. okay?

[ March 04, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Irish ears on fire ]

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
Also, even if the toes don't bunch, you still might have that heel slipping thing to deal with and have to keep pulling up the back. grrr

When I'm making a sandwich my cat always yammers for a piece of cheese. Then all he does is lick it until it's hidden across the room somewhere and I find it days later all gross and transparent. I keep thinking 'maybe this time, this time he'll eat the cheese...'

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fahrenheit:
Also, even if the toes don't bunch, you still might have that heel slipping thing to deal with and have to keep pulling up the back. grrr

mm hm.
quote:
When I'm making a sandwich my cat always yammers for a piece of cheese.
they hanker for cheese--they yammer for spam.

(now i got "hanker for a hunka...." going.
daaaaaaaaamn you.)

[ March 04, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Irish ears on fire ]

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I'm innocent, I tells ya...

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
i think i dig idiosyncrasies... i think it makes some people CUTER.. he he....

mons

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE].I thought would've was a word?

It is.

"Would OF", however, isn't.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's not take this too seriously, please. I'm sure we're all adult enough to look past these little annoyances in real life. Note that we do call them "silly".

Hay I AM jokin & being silly ...Even Ulrich was able to understand me this time..

((this Harkens back to when My Chronic Fatigue syndrome affected my coherence so badly I couldnt remember what I was trying to say WHILE I was saying it!)))

Ulrich would patiently reply..Im not following you Brucy.... [Confused]

And speakin of Ullly.. you know what??
I would of used 'would of' by I hadnt thought of it..!!
THANKS!!

Actually I usually write Woulda tho dont I ???

Quality Time is really annoying Especially when its Applied to Parenting.... [Embarrassed]

to all the rest of ya .. Alot IS one word ..
Aint It?

And Mons Wrote"

i think i dig idiosyncrasies... i think it makes some people CUTER.. he he....

Whoa Baby... All I wanna say here is I put the IDIOT in Idiosyncrasies..!!

I DO!! [Razz]

If you dont believe me ask Linxi!!! [Confused]

[ March 05, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Brucy Braless ]

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
Better not visit the Chicago area, 'heitie. "Wanna come with?" is a staple here, as well as "so's I can", "all's I got", "brung it home", "can ya borrow me a dollar?" and "Lemme see the salt" (instead of "Pass the salt". It seems to be confined more to a stretch along the Fox River Valley from Elgin to Aurora).

Okay, little things that bug me.
Spelling kids' names differently but ending up cutesy like "Baylee" and "Jesyka" for Bailey and Jessica (I can deal just fine with Bayley and Jessicka).

The Verizon Wireless commercials. Yes, I can hear you, you annoying twit, shaddap.

Banner ads in shockwave/flash. I can't hit the "Stop" button to stop them like I can for animated gifs. Have a heart for us epileptics and persons who hate blinky stuff! (hmm, actually that's a big thing and not so silly with me).

People who say "OK?" or "okay?" to end a sentence. It sounds so little bratty snotty, like "That's not what an unconscious patient behaves like. I worked in a hospice, OK?"

Like OMG, TyPiNg iN aLt Caps and 1337, kthx!! 1 1 1

People who fart in restaurants. I know sometimes it can't be helped but...ew.

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was young I used to think that broctued was a word. As in when an announcer on TV said, 'brought to you by'.

Haha, i did too, it wasn't until I was in junior high that I actually understood what they said.
"And this episode of 'Salute your shorts' was brahtoyoued by..."

People who sing and let their vibrato get out of control...yick. I know it feels neat, folks, but it sounds yucky.

Along with the singing thing...People who talk non stop about how their singing coach is the best ever, "she's a goddess blah blah blah" and say that yours is not as good, even though you can sing 4x better than they can, and you're paying half as much. Oi, but i'm not hostile....the little twit.

Oh! and people who constantly sing out louder than everyone during ensemble pieces to make themself stand out.

(I'm in death week of a musical rehearsal...thus the talk about singing)

When people ask me "did you know you have the cutest beauty mark on your cheek? it's just there" *they point* and touch my face. Yes, I know it's there, you half-wit. I've only lived with it my whole life.

Eck, and along with that whenever people poke at my face (this happens often). It makes me feel icky. I've got really dry skin, and ususally I get a pimple if people touch my face. But if I want the person touching my face, it's ok. haha

When I have my hair done all nicely, and people feel the need to run their fingers through it. It's all nice and curly, nicely gathered curls, but they run their fingers through it and it goes to hell, getting all frizzy. Feeling the hair is fine, but don't run your fingers through it.

People who ask to borrow a pencil or pen and then don't give it back...grr.

Maybe I should stop for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Herculena:
Better not visit the Chicago area, 'heitie. "Wanna come with?" is a staple here, as well as "so's I can", "all's I got", "brung it home", "can ya borrow me a dollar?" and "Lemme see the salt" (instead of "Pass the salt". It seems to be confined more to a stretch along the Fox River Valley from Elgin to Aurora).

Those are things often said around here. (I'm only about 4 hrs. from Chicago, so that would makes sense.) I can't stand half of them. I never said any of those things when I was a kid (I think it comes from having an English teacher as a mother), and I never heard anyone until I was in 3rd grade or so, and I became friends with this new girl across the street. She said all of them. The phrases that annoy me the most are "Wanna come with?", and "Can you borrow me a dollar?"

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frozen in Iowa:
When I have my hair done all nicely, and people feel the need to run their fingers through it. It's all nice and curly, nicely gathered curls, but they run their fingers through it and it goes to hell, getting all frizzy. Feeling the hair is fine, but don't run your fingers through it.

I have the same problem, but with straight hair. Sometimes it takes me ages, and a whole heap o' product, to keep the dern stuff outta my eyes. Then people feel the need to "toussle" it, and it flops everywhere.

My only consolation is the look on their face when their hand gets all covered in the gunk I always have to squeeze through it. [Wink]

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I'll start with Hercy's name thing.

I dislike it also when you see a name that looks like the parents threw every letter of the alphabet into a hat and pulled any old thing out, and when you ask them what it actually says, they say, uh der.. Mary.. LOL

Now, onto Jubs and Argy's hair scare. Jess' hair as you all know is way curly. Total strangers stop and ask ohh where did she get her curly hair from and then pat her on the head a couple of hundred times , she got to the point when she was a wee bit younger of cringing when she saw a hand coming towards her that belonged to someone she didn't know..hehe

People who bitch that their 20 mg comp is almost full, yet my 2 mg one is only half way..lol don't download crap you don't need!!!!

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
I cant stand it if pple automatically assume that I'm German just because I speak the same language as the pple in Germany! [Mad]

Oh,and I can totally relate to the "running-fingers-through-hair"-thingy!!! Some pple just seem to be addicted to my hair! That's so stupid! They constantly wanna play with it! When I'm at college and someone's sitting behind me, usually they always start playing with my hair! Well,it's gotten a lot better now that my hair is kinda short but still pple always run their fingers thru my hair!!!

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
The name thing (back to that again, am I?)... I'm reminded of when I was working at Pizza Hut and they have this partner program with elementary schools where if kids read X amount of books they get a free personal pan pizza. Usually the parents came in with the kids and sometimes I had problems pronouncing names, like if the kids were from Poland or Croatia. Generally the kids would giggle and correct me, or the parents would gently correct me. Same with a number of black kids, I wasn't sure if they were Jana, Joanna or Janay sometimes. Hispanic, Indian, and Arabic names I'd gotten pretty good at.

Most parents had no problem with me goofing up because they likely had someone pronounce the name wrong along the way. They might look weary and not smile but they were all civil about it. Until one mom came in. She didn't bring the kids with her but brought the two certificates and I asked her which pizza was for Brianna and which pizza was for Bali. She got red in the face, scowled, and shouted, "Bailey! It's pronounced "Bailey"! B-A-L-I Bailey!" [Eek!]

My boss was wondering what I did to freak that woman out so she came out of her office to see what was up but let me handle it. I said, "I'm sorry. I just assumed it was like Bali the country. You should hear how often I butcher names!" (butt kiss mode) The lady wasn't mollified but she took Brianna and Bali/Bailey's pizzas and left quietly.

All I could think of was "Lady, if you don't want people pronouncing your kid's name 'wrong', you should've thought about the spelling." I kept thinking not of Bali the country but of Bali the bra company and wondered if she had sisters named Olga, Warner, Lilyette, Maidenform, Playtex or Victoria's Secret.

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
ha ha! that name is funny! BALI. what an ass.... i don't know if there is any language where that would be said like bailey.... hmm maybe a heavy scottish accent? he he

you know what i hate about names. when i'm filling out a form for a customer and they say their last name, and i don't hear them, and so they assume i don't know how to spell it so instead of repeating it, they spell out the most simplistic last name. "your name sir?" "john silversmith". "i'm sorry, what was your last name?" "S-I-L-V-E-R-S-M-I-T-H". no duh asshole, i know how to spell both syllables. or they just think there name is sooooo complicated they spell it before saying it. if you know your basic language "habits" you can spell most LAST names, they still have rules, unlike the aforementioned first name liberties people are taking.

i met a guy named Jawar... or Jauar, never asked the spelling. And i was like "is that like jaguar with out the 'g'" he thought about it, and said "i guess so." hmmm, not so creative now! are we!? [Big Grin]

i hate when random strangers come up to tell me to "smiiile". F**k off, i don't want to smile. what do they think, i was standing around just WAITING for some ass to come and tell me that! "oh, thank you! i COMPLETELY forgot i had teeth."

don't get me STARTED!
mons

<Chiana>
posted
quote:
Now, onto Jubs and Argy's hair scare. Jess' hair as you all know is way curly. Total strangers stop and ask ohh where did she get her curly hair from and then pat her on the head a couple of hundred times , she got to the point when she was a wee bit younger of cringing when she saw a hand coming towards her that belonged to someone she didn't know..hehe

Hell yes!!!! Hair is not a hand towel!

Ditto on the name thing, and Verizon commercials. Especially considering their reception is crap!

Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
Mons, on the name spelling thing: I'm about to legally change my name but I'm not sure what to but what I have will serve. My last name has four letters. I can understand English speakers spelling it Court. I usually have to spell it for them and I'm used to it though it's a pain in the asterisk. "It's K-O-R-T." and then people will repeat it but totally butcher the spelling or spell it how they think it should be spelled. And some people ask me, "How's that pronounced? Kart? Kurt?" Um.. just like it looks, people. ARGGH. (though it earned me the amusing nicknames of Basketball, Tennis, Circuit, Kangaroo and Supreme).

Chiana: Thanks for the tip. I'll cross Verizon off my list of possible providers when I go cell phone shoppping.

[ March 06, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: King Friday XIII ]

<ArtemisRed>
posted
quote:

Oh! and people who constantly sing out louder than everyone during ensemble pieces to make themself stand out.

(I'm in death week of a musical rehearsal...thus the talk about singing)

OH I KNOW !! [Eek!]
I can't stand when someone is singing WAY OFF PITCH, but they swear up and down you are the one messing up. "This is the note , hon." and sing the note totally flat.(or sharp)

Hey what Musical Are you in ??

(I'm doing Pippin right now) [Wink]

Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I'll list mine later but first can I just get a "Hell Yeah!" for the following... (yes, I just did the "..." thing. Guilty as charged.) [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:
And I REALLY hate it when people type "your" instead of "you're".

For me, that also goes for "there"/ "their"/ "they're". Ugh! It's one thing to screw up and typo on AIM or something but I see this far too often in more "official" settings.

quote:

Leaving you turn signal (indicator) on. How do you not notice the little light on the dash just flashing away?

I refer to that person as "going around the world to the left". [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by The Xenatizer:

Then there's people taking calls on their cellphones in the cinema.

Also those who try to open their bag of wine gums VERY quietly, and therefore doing half an hour's infuriatingly furtive rustling instead of one loud decisive rip.

Ugh, I called my mom on her cell phone last week and after hearing her say "hello" in a hushed voice it occured to me that she'd mentioned earlier that she may be going to a movie. I immediately exclaimed "Are you in the THEATER right now?!". When she whispered "umm, yeah" I hung up on her. I couldn't help it. Luckily we laughed about it later when I explained my HUGE problem with this.

And, Ulrich,I may agree with you on point #2 but first I need to know, what are wine gums?

quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:
[QUOTE]
Oh yeah, and another made up word is "orientated". You can go on orientation or you can be oriented, but you CANNOT be orientated.

OMG! My ex used to say that all the time and despite what I told him he insisted that he was correct. Drove me CRAZY! Good thing we split when we did or I swear if he said it one more time I'd have "orientated" his head with a blunt object and I'd be widowed instead of divorced!

j/k. Sorta. [Wink]

And can I just say that even this life-long Yankee has incorporated "fixin' to" into her vocabulary? I'm pretty sure picked it up in Austin and I still have the "Fixin' TO DO list" magnet/paper that I got in TX on my fridge! Hanging out with Arista (who, btw, doesn't talk as funny as she claims) has only solidified it's place in my vocabulary. No one even looks at me funny when I say it now. [Big Grin]

[ March 06, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: lila997 ]

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
LMAO!!!!

i'm pretty sure Clank aka Shawn is NOT singing in an up-coming musical (if i'm wrong, i so need to get tickets to it!!!).

but thanks for the image, ArtemisRed.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
"Anne Murray's Riverdance"

[Wink]

[ March 06, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Back in St. Olaf ]

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
well i found her a new avatar to help promote it...

-
oh. and i'm pretty sure i just found that out it is possible to bust a gut laughing...

ouch. still lol. ouch.

[ March 06, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Irish ears on fire ]

Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then all he does is lick it until it's hidden across the room somewhere and I find it days later all gross and transparent. I keep thinking 'maybe this time, this time he'll eat the cheese...'

LOL!!! EW, that's gross!! [Big Grin]

King Friday, the way to stop the blinkey stuff on web pages is to hit "stop" on your internet browser, or hit the "ESC" button.

YES!!! I hate the Verizon man!! And I dare some sucka' to start touching on my face or my hair; I'd hate to have to put the kung-fu death grip on him! [Razz]

But I think the #1 all-time annoying thing for people to do to me is ask when I'm going to have kids. When I tell them "never", they act like I just told them that I blow up kittens for fun. Guess what: whether or not I want to have kids is MY (& my hubby's) decision, NOT YOURS!!!!

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evilswine:

King Friday, the way to stop the blinkey stuff on web pages is to hit "stop" on your internet browser, or hit the "ESC" button.

That only works with banners that are animated gifs. An alarming number of banners are Flash and the Stop button and Escape button does nothing to stop them.