Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  OG Fiction and Poetry    "The Road" - short story.

Moderators: Argeaux

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"The Road" - short story.
 Login/Join 
Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted
But then, some of ya might be into that.

Anyway - this is just a little one-shot that wouldn't leave me alone until it was out. Now I can get back to my supposedly-current Epic Novel fic... Smile

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2353120/1/

<When I was just a little girl,
I asked my mother "What will I be?
Will I be pretty, will I be rich?"
Here's what she said to me...
"Honestly, son, don't be such an effin' pansy.">

Posts: 136 | Location: Marshall Islands (Kwajalein) | Registered: 02 April 2007Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
i's mxm slash.. no sorry required

suggestions: (yeah i'm picky Wink )
don't use things like 'heh'
and 'hadn't got far'.. should be hadn't gotten far

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Why do I get the feeling that I'm lucky there were only two things you didn't like... Smile

What would you suggest in lieu of "heh"? "blah blah", he snorted, "blah blah blah"? he chuckled? He guffawed?

And anyway - things characters say fall under different rules than things the narrator says - characters can use all the Bad English they want. Smile

"hadn't got far" - I actually agonized over that for awhile, as I was writing it. I don't know the carved-in-stone rules, but I have a pretty good ear for what "sounds right"... and either one (imho) would've worked there.

Then it struck me that Strunk & White said something about "gotten"... like, "don't use it if you don't have to". And knowing how S&W prefers the shorter version of everything, I decided to leave it at "got".

That's wrong, you say? I shall have to look up the Rule about it...

Posts: 136 | Location: Marshall Islands (Kwajalein) | Registered: 02 April 2007Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure have (or had) gotten is the rule. but i have burned many a brain cell since that English degree.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
what is this pick on tam day? at least i read it Razz

you used 'got' once in the story and 'gotten' once in the story .. whichever your book says to use, go for it

i never say heh (or meh) .. is it a laugh?

Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
"heh" is a short, one-syllable chuckle. The sort of thing you'd say to indicate that you think something is humorous - or ironic, in this case - but aren't actually laughing at.

I never USED to use "meh" (and when I do, it's mostly on-line), but I started because I could never figure out how to spell "anyh".. or "aenhhh" or... you know, that nasal-sounding "eh..." that means "whatever".

's like trying to make up a word for a horse's whinny. "reeeEEEEAAAAArrrrr". lol. Meh.

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post

Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
But neither "ha!" or "eh?" really means "whatever... I don't really care." Maybe "eh..." is pretty close.

I am the king of ellipses...

Anyway - been thinking about it, the "got, gotten" part. "Good thing he hadn't gotten far." wasn't used because to me it felt like it could be taken as a lead-in to something else. "he hadn't gotten far WHEN-" and so on.

When what I meant was "he hadn't gotten far tying the tie". So... that's why I used "he hadn't got far".

It was weird enough saying "Ty started untying the tie." lol. I should've changed his name just so I wouldn't have had to say that. Piss poor planning prevents proper performance.

THIMK!

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
He's working on stuff and in the midst of moving. Yes I'm privy to his innermost literary secrets. Ew, boy germs.

I'll pester him to come here and answer you more in depth. I'm just his secretary friend. Wink

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
My boy-germs are the only thing that keeps me safe from your girl-cooties, Sara. Oh yeah, I know all about those. Randy told me all about it. In third grade.

Anyway - the last two months have been... different... with not one but TWO real-life Things going on, and then the ancillary damage-control that goes with them. I managed to update my Epic, novel-sized anthro-slash fic last week...

And I DO have a few other stories (check my profile on FictionPress). All my original stuff is slash (e.g., "yaoi", or for those not into teh internets, "male homo relationships"). On the other hand, all my fanfics are femmslash (Kim Possible. Don't ask - it's embarrassing enough as it is. "Kim Possible? Wtf? You're HOW old again?" Tell 'em, Sara...)

I'm hoping to get back into writing once things have calmed down and there's some semblance of normalcy. Right now, my knees hurt, my back is iffy, and I have mysterious cuts and blisters on my hands. Moving. You know I hate it.

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
okay.. i hope i've found the right place
i've started reading 'the girl for me'

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Nice. Let me know what you think of it.

Oh yeah and Jack too, I guess. If you remember.

*snerk*

You know I love you more'n my luggage old man.

Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
Yes, Voice, it's the right place. Smile

And Sara? Uhm... eff-off. If it's not my age, it's the feet-thing. I deserve a break (today)! So get up and get away! Hold the pickle! *snerk*

"Girl for Me" was well-recieved (for an original fic - not nearly the reader-base of your average fanfic, though) although looking back on it now, there ARE things I would've done different. But that's always the way it is, I guess. It's only the latest chapter of the latest fic that one can read without wincing. Smile

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
my name is Tam damnit.. or just Tam Wink

i've ready 12 chapters so far
i like the style.. the dialog is better than the last one i read
for some reason i always find teenager stories unrealistic i guess (for lack of a better word)

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Failte:
And Sara? Uhm... eff-off. If it's not my age, it's the feet-thing. I deserve a break (today)! So get up and get away! Hold the pickle! *snerk*

I luuuurve youuuu. Wink

Scroll Addict
Picture of Failte
posted Hide Post
Awww. I lurve you too.

And y'know... I'm a man... you're a woman... why don't we get together and... do what comes naturally.

Rent D.E.B.S. and fight over the Cheez-Wiz.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Bring your ass back to the states and we will. Smile