Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  OG Fiction and Poetry    Morning in Little Town

Moderators: Argeaux

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Morning in Little Town
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted
The sun pours over craggy peaks
Into my sleeping valley
Lemonade in late summer
Bathing bedroom windows
To leave them glistening
Coating the trees
In a vibrant bottled green
Morning blossoms perk and blush
Opening their eyes to dawn
To watch the golden splash
Against the cusp of this somnolent basin
And I fill my lungs
With an invisible dawning mist
Smells like the fresh rains
That, last night, never fell
I cough a little
As the exhaust picks up
And traffic litters my senses
With engines grinding
Road friction burning
And dust folding into the air
Hands in my pockets
Feet confidently trudging
I smile slyly at those few moments
The purity I was able to steal
Continuing my walk
Up this ever rising hill.

Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
Somnolent basin!
I had to look that up to be sure. There are six forms of that word. Why don't we use more of our English words? Some are so beautiful.

I have to write a news story today about a Scottish and Irish festival. It's hard to come up with a lead for such stories; festivals are not big news, so the lead is usually the weather or the number of people. Your word has inspired me to come up with something better, but I don't know what yet.

Great poem too. I like the turn in the middle to show the contrast of the traffic etc and then back to show that it's all a state of mind anyway.

More phrases I like:

bottled green
lemonade in late summer
and this:
Smells like the fresh rains
That, last night, never fell

Here, you use the comma to great effect, you who use punctuation so infrequently.

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
aaaahhh, you LIKE my somnolent basin. Wink thanks. it is a pretty word. som-no-lent. kind of soft, like its meaning.

the best thing about writing about something you don't like, is you can be kind of fun about it! you know, get all crazy. start talking about skirts, how yours hiked up over your pannies, and THERE YA' GO! he he he... i mean cause of the wind and the weather. Smile

well, thank you. Everynow and then, one has to use punctuation. and in this case, it was the only place i knew where to put it, and it had to be there. make sense?

thanks for reading NANZAR!!! Big Grin

mons