Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  OG Fiction and Poetry    Interesting Advice on Writing and Publishing from Holly Lisle

Moderators: Argeaux

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Interesting Advice on Writing and Publishing from Holly Lisle
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
I found this site linked at another message board and it's quite interesting. Good advice on the mechanics of writing. Tons of information on playing with publishers and there's a message board (which I have not yet browsed).

I confess that I've never read Holly Lisle (I may have read her collaboration with Mercedes Lackey, but I don't remember ), but I have been seeing her books on the shelves for over a decade. Her encouraging tone on this site is that of a mentor who wants you to succeed.

Forward Motion for Writers

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Thanks nora this is fascinating stuff. I've read some of it, there's a lot but I think it can be helpful.
For the record, I lurve Mercedes Lackey.RazzBig Grin I never read any Holly/Mercedes collaborations tho, must check those out.

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
Hey Nora

It's been a while since I read this post and checked everything out at Holly Lisle site but I just wanted to say thank you for bringing the link here. I loved reading her advice on writing and beyond that, finding the Forward Motion community has been a breakthrough experience for me.

BTW- Her latest effort to sell a book has gone awry and her fans are getting out the vote for her in a big way; they are pre-ordering her book at bookstores and asking for it at libraries to help with her publisher woes. For more info on that you can look here:
[URL=http://www.fmwriters.com/community/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=54139&mode=full)]holly lisle post at FM[/URL]or here: Holly Lisle web blog

But back to my favorite subject, ME! I've been joining the writing challenges at the board and have found it very stimulating and encouraging. The writers there (and there are some 4000 members) have a lot on their plates so they don't offer critiques of people's work very often, however the very life of writing is a subject of its own which gets a lot of attention there and helps me immensely.

Those interested in reading some of my own recent work are invited to read it at my web page here My home page. I would put a link to the challenges themselves but you have to be a member to peruse the pages with any real writing on them. (If you do go there you will know me. I'm not very inventive when it comes to names!)

Anyway, thanks again for the heads-up. I'm very grateful to have found a home as nice as this one in many ways (although I'm not going to find quite as many Xenites there- but the fantasy and alternative world is alive and kicking!) And so am I! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Troll,

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Haven't been in this forum for awhile, so I missed your post, Nanzar (oh lordy, tell me it hasn't been a week). Sorry about that.

Glad you found it of value. I haven't had much time to explore the writer's forum. Thanks for giving us the scoop. *G* And you're getting a good lesson in how to fight back against the publisher. That will come in useful someday.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post