Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  OG Fiction and Poetry    "The Buzz of Embarrassment"

Moderators: Argeaux

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"The Buzz of Embarrassment"
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
posted
I only have two more Creative Writing exercises to share with you...I had to write this one and the next one I'm going to post the last week of school, and didn't have a chance to put them up till now. This first one is uh...lol, a little close for comfort because I had to write about myself in the third person. This has a touch of humor, so enjoy. Wink

Exercise – Think of a story you tell often. Now make yourself the point-of-view character in that story, but in a third person unified point of view. In writing the story, concentrate on recreating what you saw in as complete detail as possible.

"The Buzz of Embarrassment"

“Keri, there’s a bee on your shoulder!” Julie cried out as she slid away from Keri on the bench where they were eating lunch.

These were the words that had always struck fear in Keri’s heart ever since she was a little girl and a bee had stung her right in the middle of her forehead. Ever since then, she had carried around an absolute fear of bees and anything that could buzz near her ears. Despite the fact that she was now sixteen years old, her reaction to a bee being next to her was still the same.

Keri quickly looked down at her shoulder and sure enough, there was the little bugger crawling up her sweatshirt, heading toward her neck. Without a second thought, she screamed and jumped up from her seat on the bench. She didn’t even think to set down the Coca Cola can that was in her hand before running off to who knows where. All she could imagine was the bee moving closer and closer to her neck, and in her chaos-filled mind, she thought if she ran around maybe the wind would convince the bee to fall off her shoulder. With a glance down at her shoulder, she realized...not so much. The wind didn’t even make a dent in the bee’s ascent toward her neck.

As Keri ran in circles around the lunch area at her high school, everyone stopped eating and watched her, wondering what was going on. Even the principal stopped in his tracks with a bewildered look on his face. None of these things registered in Keri’s mind as possibly embarrassing, and she continued to run around the grass, waving her arms, screaming bloody murder. The grass was still wet from the rain earlier, and suddenly it turned traitor on her and made her slip and fall to the ground. Somehow, amongst this, she still managed to keep her Coca Cola from spilling – in fact, she just noticed she was still holding it and placed it on the ground.

Looking back down at her neck to see if maybe, just maybe her clumsy fall had squished the bee between her shoulder and the ground, she saw she wasn’t so lucky. It hadn’t even fazed the bee one bit on its continual trek up her shoulder.

Keri screamed once more, jumped up from the ground, ran back over to her friends’ table – it was only then that she noticed they were all laughing at her. Tired of it all, she quickly pulled her sweatshirt off up and over her head and threw it to the ground before running away, still shrieking.

When Keri realized she didn’t hear any buzzing around her, she stopped running and looked back at her sweatshirt. Looking at her friend Allison, she demanded, “Check the sweatshirt! Make sure it’s gone!”

Laughing, Allison did as she was told and found no bee stuck to the sweatshirt. “Nothing’s here, Keri.” She picked up the sweatshirt and threw it back into Keri’s hands.

Sighing in relief, Keri finally came back to reality. She looked up to find all of the lunch area laughing at her escapade, and she felt her cheeks begin to burn a bright red. With a sheepish smile, she feebly waved at everybody, and they simply laughed more. Years later, the embarrassment was still the same – where bees were concerned, she always did something like this.

Keri cringed as she noticed the principal walking over towards her. He stopped in front of her and smirked a little, “Ms. Spencer? Go pick up your Coke before I give you a detention for littering on school grounds.”

With a sheepish look, Keri nodded, “Yes, sir.” She walked over to where she had set her Coca Cola down, picked it up, and had to laugh at herself. Only she would not even notice she had taken her Coke with her, and only she would cause a scene that she knew would be remembered by her friends for the rest of their years together. This was one of her few talents, and her performance was absolutely flawless.

"Yeah, I know it hurts
Yeah, I know you're scared
Walking down the road that leads to who knows where
Don't you hang your head
Don't you give up yet
When courage starts to disappear
I will be right here

When your world breaks down
And the voices tell you "turn around"
When your dreams give out
I will carry you, carry you
When the stars go blind
And the darkness starts to flood your eyes
When you've fallen behind
I will carry you..."

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
<mons>
posted
*Still LOL*

That was great Keri! I'm at work on my lunch break, 2 am, and this story was really cool to find when all my co-workers are freakin' asleep. *LOL* Bee's. You would have hated growing up where I did, there was a Bee farm and a load of Wasps all over the place! They loved to make nests on the overhang of our home, or in the trees and bushes. It was horrible running past them into the house, or sneakin up to the back door trying not to "wake them up". Ha ha! Too many afternoons, i had to wait until they all settled before being able to get into my house! Or i would wait for my brother to come home and fearlessly hose them away. What a dope, then he would be running screaming and me hiding in his truck laughing. Then this one time, in California of all places, a bee landed on my butt while i was laying on the beach. I never know if people are being mean and joking with me saying "there's a bee on your butt", cause i'm thinking "what's a bee doing this close to the ocean--and on my ASS of all places". (I'm also pretty gullible at times, and people love to catch me. Why do they think its funny? I don't run into their house yelling FIIIREE!) Big Grin So, anyway, i shrug it off and tell them... well.. bite me. So there i layed, with a bee on my butt for who knows how long before one of them convinced me to turn around and look--what do you know, there's a damned bee on my butt Eek... so i shooed it off as if i wasn't scared. IN my head though, i was running around mad screaming "bee on my ass! Eek bee on my ass!".... he he...

anyhow, thanks for the share and the laugh. Big Grin

mons *g*

Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
mons,

*has to grin* I'm glad you found the story quite amusing. Yes yes. I am the bee queen or something like that. The sad thing? Is that I have many more stories like that one because of my fear of bees. (Or wasps.) It's quite sad. I'll run away, never enter a place where a bee is hanging out, or I'll never leave a house when wasps are congregating outside the door. Uh uh.

That's pretty funny though about the bee on your butt-- the worst one I've had is when it was on my forehead and stung me. That was traumatic and actually that was where my fear began. Razz

You're welcome for the share and for the laugh- glad to help with keeping you awake at 2:00 am. Razz

~Gabber

"If one day you discover him
Broken down, he's lost everything
No cars, no fancy clothes to make him who he's not
The woman at his side is all that he's got
Why do you ask him to move Heaven and earth to prove his love has worth?

Would he walk on water?
Would he run through fire?
Would he stand before you when it's down to the wire?
Would he be your anchor when the dark unfolds?
Will he always love you the best that he knows?
Would he give his life up to be all he can?
Is that how you measure a man?"

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post