Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  OG Fiction and Poetry    Visit my collection of photos and poems

Moderators: Argeaux

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Visit my collection of photos and poems
 Login/Join 
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted
Light, Shadows and Words

The above link goes to my web page displaying some of the items I've been working on for an upcoming show. I'm interested, as always, in your critical comments (please- if you find any mistakes let me know!) And also just wanted to share them with you. Some of you may recognize a few of these pictures, because I have shown them before, but not quite in this current form.

Also, I will be leaving home soon and spending the second half of July off on an artist vacation in Vermont, Maine and Canada, so this is a note to say farewell for a while.

Bye for now! Smile

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I love them, Nanzar. Really beautiful combination of imagery and poetry. That one with the tribute to your brother was very moving. Also I LOVE the Hoard....too true.Big Grin

Have a great trip, do come back soon! Take care.Smile

Kate

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Wow
Very nice..
I especially like the atmosphere of the the bare trees in the fog.

Almost surreal... just like life....LOL

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful!

Posts: 493 | Location: over here | Registered: 23 July 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys.

Kate That picture was one of those freak things. It was taken exactly one year after my brother died. I didn't know if I was enhancing the photo or making it too personal with the poem. I finally decided to put the poem on a separate piece of paper near it, with the title "Anniversary Sunrise."

The other one you like, also a freak thing. It looks posed but it wasn't; just one of those moments that you see something interesting and quickly snap it.

Brucy That picture was a very late addition to the collection so I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I was running through about a hundred pictures I took that foggy day and came across it only recently. I agree that it is a good representation of life sometimes. We don't really know much about what it has to hold, do we? It just comes, and we take what we get.

I'll voice my own personal concerns here about my art. There seems to me to be two important things missing from my art, 1- a political statement, you know, something that really teaches or at least comments on the world as it is and tries to change things and 2- a personal statement, something that talks about what I've been through, what I know to be true for me, and what I think is important.

In other words, sometimes I wonder why I make art at all. If it's not going to make the world a better place, shouldn't I just find something else to do? Anyway, these are the thoughts in my head lately. Probably only because I'm about to show my work, and maybe partly because there is so much pain in the world and I can't reconcile the two things.

Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nanzar:
I'll voice my own personal concerns here about my art. There seems to me to be two important things missing from my art, 1- a political statement, you know, something that really teaches or at least comments on the world as it is and tries to change things and 2- a personal statement, something that talks about what I've been through, what I know to be true for me, and what I think is important.

In other words, sometimes I wonder why I make art at all. If it's not going to make the world a better place, shouldn't I just find something else to do?

I disagree. First, there's soul in your work. You're sharing the highest part of yourself. Just because you aren't making an outright statement doesn't mean that it isn't speaking. It speaks of stillness and nature. IMHO, you can't get any higher than that. To make it political or ego statement-y, would lower its vibration. I think you are contributing quite well. I think that as artists though, our egos can make us believe that sublety isn't good enough. I think with subtlety, you are less likely to illicit resistance to your message. It enters people on a higher level and their egos are not engaged in the process.

You are giving to the world from a place of love. That's the highest gift there is! Wink

Posts: 493 | Location: over here | Registered: 23 July 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that as artists though, our egos can make us believe that sublety isn't good enough. I think with subtlety, you are less likely to illicit resistance to your message. It enters people on a higher level and their egos are not engaged in the process.

Wow. That is just really powerful. Thank you Chiana. You have really got a deep understanding of human nature. I guess that it's true that I peddle in safety rather than in shock or absolutes.

I'll definately take your perceptions to heart the next time I get to deep thinking about making the kind of art I make.